We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

Montreal, Qc
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

Hi,

I would like some help in planning my itinerary for my first trip to Spain. Let me know what you think of my day allocation for each city and if you have any suggestion on how to improve my itinerary. I am a big fan of food and architecture:

Day 1: Arrival in Barcelona. (4 nights)

Day 5: Fly from Barcelona to Seville (3 nights)

Day 8: Train from Seville to Granada (2 nights)

Day 10: Train from Granada to Madrid (3 nights)

Day 13: Departure from Madrid

My stay in Madrid includes a day trip to Toledo. I am not sure if Madrid is worth seeing. I can also remove or add 1 day to all my days in Spain as I haven't booked my flight.

My last question is which month is better to be in Spain: May or June?

Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,266 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

DDA804:

Your itinerary is good. Madrid is definitely worth seeing.

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

I would choose May because the weather will be good and there will be fewer tourists than in June.

Read about the day trip to Toledo in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

In Seville a good hotel I stay in is the Hotel Becquer, which is walking distance to most sights.

In Madrid downtown is the Gran Via and you can find many hotels there, as well as many shops.

Montreal, Qc
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

Thanks for the great tips. I was also considering skipping Madrid and go to Mallaga instead and fly back from there.

Any feedback? I know Madrid and Mallaga are very different but I'm wondering if the beaches of Mallaga is worth skipping Madrid.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

Have a plan. Why don't you take the AVE train from Barcelona to Cordoba ...I see some good P+ prices at moment for May especially if you plan to go midweek. It takes 4 hours or so and leaves from downtown Barcelona Sants station. You should try that. Now architecture is Mezquita in Cordoba and other buildings indeed. OK so its old but you need to see .

Then you have options. train to Granada the following day or easy train ride to Seville ? You can also take the bus to either place. The Granada train is not a fast one but not bad called ALTARIA and travels twice a day. From Granada back track and head for Seville where to enjoy in the warmth of summer you could stay 3 nights. It sounds a lot but maybe its your only chance and they do food well plus the whole feel of the city is so different to anywhere you may have been. Stay in the old part "casco antiguo" plenty of choices.

A 2 1/2 hour AVE back up to Madrid ?

Either month is good and check to see if any special ferias or festivals are on during the stay? I think May is regarded by many as good in Cordoba. Patios?

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

Sounds good. Don't miss Madrid. Malaga is nice if you had more time. If you want a beach vacation go to Cape Cod.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

Cape Cod surely Cabo Bacalao. Cod is the most popular fish for Spanish.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

I agree that visiting in May is much better due to the weather and also the many festivals in May. If you can add time to your itinerary I'd add 2 days to visit Cordoba and stay in the city especially if your visit is around the May Crosses festival or Patio festival. At the least I'd add 1-2 days to Sevilla so you have time to visit Cordoba as a daytrip.

I think for a first trip to Spain it would be interesting to visit Madrid, Barcelona and Andalucia although I do love Malaga - so you really can't go wrong. If you decide on sticking with Madrid I'd consider adding a day so it's not so rushed and you have more than 1 full day (since one day is a daytrip to Toledo, a don't miss IMHO).

san diego
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

I like your itinerary, but, I would like to suggest that you change to 2 days in Granada and add 1 in Cordoba. That way you get to see another Unesco world heritage site, plus, the AVE train back to Madrid is much shorter/faster than from Granada.

8. Re: Itinerary Help: 13 days in Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 06:28