We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed! Edinburgh, Glasgow...or Barcelona!

Miami, Florida
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed! Edinburgh, Glasgow...or Barcelona!

Hi! We're a family of 7 traveling in Europe this July. We are two active people in their 60s, a couple in their 30s, a couple in their late 20s and an infant. The parents of the infant want to use one location as a base instead of moving around throughout the week. We're fine with day trips. Which city (Edinburgh, Glasgow or Barcelona) makes the best base for a week vacation and why?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,403 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed! Edinburgh, Glasgow...or Barcelona!

Daniel:

Barcelona is famous for its modernist buildings, especially those made by Gaudi. Barcelona has many museums too. It is easy to make day trips from Barcelona.

Read the top questions of the Barcelona forum to get an idea of what you can see.

Downtown is the Plaza de Catalunya. If you find a hotel near it you can walk to many sights.

In July you will be able to go to the beaches.

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/attractions/b…

f2s
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1,075 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed! Edinburgh, Glasgow...or Barcelona!

Hi,

I think you would prefer to speak English.

I was born in Edinburgh and now live in Glasgow.

These cities are a mere 50 minute train ride apart (very frequent service) so you could visit both sides of Scotland.

In July Edinburgh is crowded (and hotels fill & cost more). In Glasgow the Commonwealth Games start on July 23 (for 12ish days) so VERY crowded then.

Both cities are great to walk around but I think you cant beat the "city hop on hop off" bus for a start?

Needs lots of planning if you want trips out of town.

Edinburgh has more Kodak moments, but don't tell Glasgow I said that!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed! Edinburgh, Glasgow...or Barcelona!

I live in Barcelona (by choice) and I'm in love with Scotland, in my opinion you cannot get wrong with any of the two options.

In just one week, you can only scratch the surface of any of these two areas, both have several possible daytrips (apart of the cities themselves, deserving a few days each)

On the other hand, these options are so different tha makes little sense to reccomend one over the other to someone we don't know (as little sees for you to rely on the advice of complete strangers to decide your holiday destination, complete strangers who may have tastes opposite as yours!)

If you want culture, historical buildings, Kodak moments, daytrips to picturesque landscapes or villages... Any option will do.

If you're more into "green", of course Scotland. Mind that weather may be more unreliable there.

If you fancy adding some beach time, Barcelona.

Food... I may be biased, but Scotland can't compete in that field with Barcelona (and Catalonia in general)

And as the poster above said, if you prefer an English speaking area, Scotland of course. However, millions of tourists visit Bracelona every years, a majority of them not speaking any Catalan or Spanish, and they manage to have a great time, language issues are not a problem to fully enjoy this area and the cultural differences are an added bonus for many.

Look for more info online about each destination and find out wich one appeals more to YOU. If you can't decide, throw a coin, it's a win-win situation!

Edited: 09 March 2014, 14:32
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed! Edinburgh, Glasgow...or Barcelona!

If you prefer an English speaking city then go for Edinburgh as the accent in Glasgow tends to be broad and not easy to understand (Just joking!!) The games start around 23rd July in Glasgow but many people will also stay in Edinburgh and travel to Glasgow so both cities will be very busy.

I was up in Edinburgh recently and took the bus down to the Borders famous for its Tweed River and fishing (expensive rods) and thought how beautiful the Borders are and with a wealth of history.

My best time in Edinburgh was during the annual Festival held in August. That was fun !

5. Re: Advice needed! Edinburgh, Glasgow...or Barcelona!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:20