We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting and parking 7 passenger mini vans across Spain

San Francisco
Level Contributor
5 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Renting and parking 7 passenger mini vans across Spain

There will be 6 adults in our party as we visit Spain in September. Flying into Bilbao, then to Barcelona, Madrid, toledo, Granada and Costa del Sol. Looked into trains but think we'll rent a vehicle to get between cities, then park it in favor of public transport while we're in town. Problem is that I'm uncertain that I can fit 6 adults along with their carry-on sized suitcases into a Seat Alhambra or Mercedes Viano or other similar vehicle at the same time and they don't seem to rent roof top luggage carriers in Spain. Plus, I'm nervous about finding parking spaces (secure ones) large enough to accommodate - and equally troublesome is the thought of navigating very narrow roads in Toledo or Granada just to get to the hotel. Does anyone have knowledge or expertise on the capacity of these vans and driving/parking them? My husband is game to try driving one. Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,682 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting and parking 7 passenger mini vans across Spain

foggy:

You will have a problem in parking if the van is quite big. The parking spaces here are much smaller than those in San Francisco. You will be able to pass the narrow streets of Toledo. The parking spaces at many hotels are small too and you will have to pay 11 to 30 euros for parking. If you do rent one, get one with a GPS to make entering and leaving cities easy.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c86680/Malaga…

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting and parking 7 passenger mini vans across Spain

Ihave to apologise that the above poster has not really answered your question.

I drive a 7 seater. I can confirm you that parking spaces most of the time are just adequate . But I do find spaces. Most car parks are underground if you are not confident about the amount of room you have ask one of the passengers to help. Driving an unfamiliar car is never easy is it.

Luggage space is going to be tight on a 7 seater for 6 adults. however you will have the advantage of the spare seat to carry luggage. Also I would suggest you all use bags which are squishy rather than hard suitcases.

I think you can try to drive a Merc in the US the seat will be impossible.

The question is can you drive a shift?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,167 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting and parking 7 passenger mini vans across Spain

Carry on sized suitcases for 6 ? It does sound that you plan to bring lots of things with you. In September the weather is reliably warm and so the need for excessive clothes is not essential at all. There should be a review about the amount of stuff that you must bring and what you do not need !! As the previous posted says those bags that can be squashed into tight spaces are good as well. In the SEAT Alhambra they say that with 7 adults aboard you have 267 litres of luggage space. Ok so maybe reduce that becasue they may have crammed cuddly toys into the tight corners so let's say 240 litres plus you have the spare seat. Now you have to go out and get 240 litre bottles of Coke and see how much space that takes up. Or perhaps easier just measure one bag to see !! All bags are different sizes !

I think it would be doable and not particularly comfortable especially if the party of Adults are of good dimensions themselves. The latest version of the Alhambra has more space in the back seat for adults whereas pre 2010 models were not so roomy. So check the version is not an old one if renting. Above all travel light.

The overall height of the Alhambra is about 1.7 metres which is under 6 feet. The length is under 5 metres so about 16 feet. How does that compare with your vehicle and others you have seen ? Many cars nowadays are bulky especially around London in the more "posher" places where everybody seems to drive massive tank like 4x4s. They survive and if they come across any small fry on the road they menace. Well just joking.

If the rental is an up to date model and the one way drop is good and terms of the rental is good then maybe it would be a good idea. But the moral is to travel light as shops in Spain carry all the things you can buy at home in the clothes line and much else besides.

Personally I enjoy using the trains in Spain as it seems to free me from undue stress with all that directions thing and sat navs are not always correct as I discovered only recently. Well not a sat nav but Google maps which are the same really and use GPS. The Google map certainly told me to turn right when a large sign in front of me said "All directions" turn left. And turning left was the correct option!

Spanish trains can be a real experience especially the AVE ones between say Barcelona and Madrid. The one between Madrid and Cordoba and Seville was the flagship fast line and is served by many AVEs each day.

The direct trains to from Madrid to Granada are more sedate and nevertheless very nice but do not go as fast. With traveling on a train like that you have the opportunity for any person in your group of 6 to peel off and use the facilities. Whereas in a SEAT Alhambra it's one out all out !

So carefully consider the train option and do not automatically think that it will be easier by vehicle. Unless you plan to stop at various locations between the cities.

Good luck!

4. Re: Renting and parking 7 passenger mini vans across Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 06:20