We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Day Trip to Spain for Wine, Food, and Beaches

United States
6 posts
Save Topic
12 Day Trip to Spain for Wine, Food, and Beaches

Hi everyone, I've been searching the travel forum and really need some help to figure out how to plan my trip. I planned a trip to Greece and Italy a couple of years ago and it was filled with sightseeing (Rome, Florence, Athens) in the beginning and relaxing/partying on the beach in Mykonos at the end. I'd like to do something similar in Spain, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. Initially, I wanted to visit Madrid, Barcelona, Majorca or Ibiza, and a couple of other areas like Pontevedra (Albarino wine), San Sebastian, and Seville... but this seems impossible given travel times and there is so much to see and do. I am open to giving up Majorca or Ibiza if I can experience beautiful, clean, and relaxing beaches in vicinity of Barcelona.

Right now, I am thinking of spending 1.5 to 2 days in Madrid, 2 days in Northern spain, 2-3 days in Southern Spain (for Rioja wine), and the remainder in Barcelona (for day trips including Montserrat, cava, beaches, and shopping). I don't know when I will visit Spain again so I want to make the most of it. Is this a good idea? Should I give up Majorca or Ibiza? Should I cut out Northern Spain and/or Southern Spain? Thanks so much for your help!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 Day Trip to Spain for Wine, Food, and Beaches

KDJUS:

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

With your limited time I would cut down the number of cities and stay longer in each. You do not say how much time you have or when you are doing the trip.

Here is a suggestion:

4 days in Madrid and do one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia. Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

Take the train to Seville and stay 3 days.

Take the train to Barcelona. Barcelona has beaches.

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/attractions/b…

Downtown Madrid is the Gran Via. You can use Venere.com to screen for hotels in that area.

A good hotel in Seville where I stay is the Hotel Becquer, walking distance to most sights.

Downtown Barcelona is the Plaza de Catalunya. There are many hotels in that area and it is walking distance to many sights.

United States
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 Day Trip to Spain for Wine, Food, and Beaches

I'm going in May/June for 12 days.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,959 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 Day Trip to Spain for Wine, Food, and Beaches

2-3 days in Southern Spain (for Rioja wine)

Look at this useful Spain wine regions map

espavino.com/spain_wine_region/spanish_wine_…

4. Re: 12 Day Trip to Spain for Wine, Food, and Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:20