We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motor home

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Motor home

Hi,

My partner and I are arriving in Spain (and possibly Portugal) for 6 weeks at the end of March. We are looking at starting in Sevilla and finishing in Barcelona. We are currently researching motor home rental as we would love to travel around this way. It looks to be a rather costly option, especially if we use different pick up/drop off points. We've done some maths and it will be a more expensive option that hotels BUT we think it would make for a brilliant trip. Has anyone done something similar to this who could offer advice? Any recommended/cheap companies to use? Any dodgy ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Kim.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 08:26
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,733 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motor home

The idea sounds great and for a place like Oz or especially New Zealand it must be wonderful however in Spain and Portugal I am not convinced at all. In Spain you do have cities which are not very conducive for using or sleeping in a motor home. A friend visited me in Arcos recently and could only find a suitable motor home overnight in Dos Hermanas which is some way south of Seville and so to visit the city had to use a bus.

Of course if you plan to travel a lot and are prepared to research more then perhaps it is good but frankly most of those with motor homes that I see are folks who gravitate to the coast during the off season and stay put for weeks before returning North home.

Car hire for out of the way places is not too expensive in Spain especially during less busy times. And buses and trains can be ideal for getting around. Even the plane is great for getting from for example Seville to Barcelona using www.vueling.com

Also accommodation need not be very expensive if you look for places called PENSION or HOSTAL which tend to be smaller family run places.

If you go to the older towns and villages you will find that a small car will allow closer access becasue of narrow streets and difficult parking.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motor home

Most towns have narrow streets in Spain and Portugal and even parking with a car in Spain can be difficult. Roads between towns can be single lane too. I would hate to try Spain or Portugal in a motor home.

The big cities are bad to drive in (notably Barcelona), to try and find your way around (lack of street signs) and to try and park in. I would use public transport which is pretty good, then hire a car for a day as needed.

Companies like hostelbookers, lowcostholidays, booking.com, hotelscombined and the like have lots of cheap accommodation this time of year.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,211 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motor home

kim:

Using a motor home in Spain is not practical. As kaneda says, there are many narrow streets in towns in Spain where a motor home would be too wide to pass.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motor home

Thank you for your information, it is appreciated.

5. Re: Motor home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:17