We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid or Barcelona?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid or Barcelona?

I'm traveling to Spain in August with a girlfriend. It will be our first trip. We're already scheduled to spend a week in southern Spain (Andalusia region). We'd like to spend a few days in either Madrid or Barcelona. We're mid/late 30s, enjoy good food and wine, don't need a party scene, like art (don't love art), can afford nice hotels & restaurants, wouldn't mind doing some shopping. Do we fly into Madrid or Barcelona?

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

i think both places will be ok for you....

i prefer madrid over barcelona, but that's just my personal preference. Weather in barcelona will probably be milder, but madrid in august has a great atmosphere, because it is not so crowded as any other time of the year (lots of madrilians on holidays to the beach) and you can enjoy madrid without thousands of people everywhere (traffic, lines, etc)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,090 posts
3,467 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

uwred1:

If you go to Madrid you can do one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia. Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

Calle Serrano in Madrid is the Fifth Avenue of Madrid, with many shops. Calle Goyam and the Gran Via are other good shopping streets.

A good hotel I stay in is the Melia Galgos, besides Calle Serrano. It is in the Salamanca Barrio, the safest place to stay in town.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

Its all personal choice and I prefer Barcelona, as I love the ambiance, magnificent Gaudi architecture, also the hospitality of the Catalonian people.

There are good beaches to enjoy at Barcelona and Sitges, visits to Tarragona, Girona and the monastery on Monterserrat

www.barcelonaturisme.com www.timeout.com/barcelona www.tarragonaturisme.cat www.girona.cat/turisme/eng/actvitats.php

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelon… www.sitgestur.cat

Accommodation www.venere.com

nb: Taxi from the airport 25-30 euro or Bus www.aerobusbcn.com

Edited: 13 March 2014, 06:28
4. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:25