We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four-week itinerary, Spain, August '14

Aalborg, Denmark
1 post
Save Topic
Four-week itinerary, Spain, August '14

Hi

I'm going to Spain this August for a four-week trip with my girlfriend. I would like some feedback/suggestions to my current plans/itinerary. I'm arriving in Barcelona on August 1st and leaving from Malaga on August 29th. I would like to explore the following destinations, but I am not sure how this itinerary fits.

Barcelona (Already booked 5 nights)

San Sebastian

Madrid (including Toledo + Segovia)

Seville

Granada

Malaga (I'm thinking 5-7 days? Primarily at the beach)

This is going to be a semi-backpacking trip, hence the budget is rather low. I am open to any suggestions; Transportation, time in each city, other cities, informative websites etc.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Burricleta S.L
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Montsant Natura
Taxis & Shuttles, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
BusPlana
Mass Transportation Systems, Taxis & Shuttles
Limusinas Zeus
Taxis & Shuttles
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four-week itinerary, Spain, August '14

Lars:

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

While in Malaga you can do a day trip to Ronda.

Here is some info about Malaga:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine (320 days of sunshine a year), and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has 14 museums (among them the Glass and Crystal Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum, Automobile Museum, and the two Picasso Museums), historic churches (four founded by the Catholic Kings), and monuments that include two castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro). The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. The city is very safe. The Malaga Park is a very large semi-tropical park and beside it is a new park called the Palmeral de las Sorpresas at the port. Muelle Uno is a new shopping/restaurant complex at the port. The Gardens of La Concepcion are the largest tropical plant gardens in Europe. There are about 1000 buildings from the 19th century downtown, one of the largest and best conserved collections in Spain.

The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Shopping is wonderful and most stores are walkable from downtown. Downtown has Calle Larios, Calle Nueva, and Calle Granada and surrounding streets, with many boutiques. El Corte Ingles is a large department store near downtown. Two shopping malls near downtown are the Larios Center and Vialia.

Good hotels in good locations:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio – Good location near Calle Larios. The rooftop restaurant is a romantic place during twilight with a great view of the port.

4-star: Hotel Molina Lario – Good location near Calle Larios with parking. The hotel restaurant Café de Bolsa is a very good restaurant.

4-star: Hotel NH Malaga – Good hotel with a large parking space.

3-star: Hotel Don Curro – Good hotel near Calle Larios.

2-star: Ibis Malaga Centro Ciudad

The Restaurant El Pimpi at Calle Granada, 62, has Andalusian decoration and music and one can have tapas and try Malaga’s sweet wine here. This is the restaurant that celebrities are brought to. Movie stars and members of royalty have all been here.

Malaga was named by Trip Advisor as the 7th best destination in the “Traveler’s Choice 2013 – Top 10 Destinations of Spain” list.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,238 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four-week itinerary, Spain, August '14

Barcelona to San Sebastian bus www.alsa.es train www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

fly www.vueling.com

San Sebastian to Madrid bus www.alsa.es or Renfe train

Madrid to Seville bus www.socibus.es or Renfe train

Seville to Ronda bus www.samar.es

Ronda to Granada bus Renfe train

Granada to Malaga bus www.alsa.es

Malaga trains renfe.com/viajeros/…index.html and Alsa buses

Excursion San Sebastian to Bilbao and Biarritz bus www.pesa.net

Madrid to Toledo and Segovia Renfe train

www.spain.info

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com www.barcelonaturisme.com www.timeout.com.barcelona

www.sansebastianturismo.com

www.madrid-tourist-guide.com www.madridtourist.info www.timeout.com/madrid

www.go-toledo.com www.segovia.com

www.sevillaonline.es www.turismoderonda.es www.lovegranada.com www.visitcostadelsol.com

Accommodation www.venere.com www.hostelworld.com

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Madrid
Madrid
Seville
Seville
Granada
Granada
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,196 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four-week itinerary, Spain, August '14

Of course August is peak time for beach lovers and places like San Sebastian and Malaga Province will be very busy indeed. Inland places like Seville and Madrid are busy but this is not peak time and accommodation is easier to find.

You have some tips about finding accommodation and the cheaper end of the hotels may be called Hostals (not to be confused with Hostels) or Pensions. If you look for a place away from the obvious front line beach then you can find a good value place. I would start searching now for your last place in Malaga Province and don't restrict yourself to Malaga city itself but search the coast as far as Fuengirola as the local train runs along as far as Fuengirola and also stops at airport and in Malaga city itself. You can see the route and more on here : www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/malaga/

One way of moving around which is becoming more and more popular with younger especially is car sharing. You need to be conversant with the system and so a review is necessary however this could be one way of moving from say Barcelona to San Sebastian / Donosia by car at a cost of maybe €30 to 40. If you strike lucky. This is the large car share web site started in France.

http://www.blablacar.com/

For Madrid with visits to Segovia and Toledo you can certainly use the regular bus services for these because they are cheaper and frankly the one to Segovia leaves from a central point in Madrid which is Principe Pio. The bus to Toledo leaves from the Plaza Elíptica one which is also a transport hub.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Madrid
Madrid
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Naples, Campania...
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four-week itinerary, Spain, August '14

You've got a while there so I think you can see even more. I liked the beaches around Malaga, but might be nice to head down further along the coast and take a look at Tarifa. I absolutely loved it here and the beaches are beautiful, though very windy! Not sure if you're looking for this kind of thing but Tarifa is amazing for watersports; and surf hire is very reasonable here. It's a tourist spot of course, especially in August, but I got the feeling a lot of the people around were local tourists rather than foreigners which is always nice!

If you're looking for budget accommodation I would always opt for Hostels. Private rooms in 'modern' style hostels tend to have the price tag of a 1 or 2 star hotel but the standard of a three star, plus communal kitchens are always good if you're planning on making picnics for the beach or cooking dinner to save money to spend elsewhere!!

In Malaga I stayed in Oasis Hostel, and actually they have a hostel in Seville and Granada too. I haven't visitied their Granada Hostel but I absolutely loved the Seville and Malaga ones.

Here's a link: www.famoushostels.com/hostels/malaga-hostel/

August, like others have said is VERY high season, so I would book ahead if you can; finding a decent hostel/hotel close to the date could be tricky and more expensive.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Seville
Seville
Granada
Granada
5. Re: Four-week itinerary, Spain, August '14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 07:16