We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for Portugal/Spain trip in June

Illinois (Chicago...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help for Portugal/Spain trip in June

With FF miles burning in our pockets, we booked flights into Lisbon on Jun 6, departing Barcelona, Jun 20. I fully realize there is a ton of country(s) in between the two and by no means are we trying to see everything. A little about us: Husband and wife (late 40s) with fairly well-travelled 13 yr old daughter from Chicago suburbs. We like beautiful natural areas, limited interest in history although like it in highlights & small doses, very limited interest in art - although looking forward to the major Gaudi sights, adults-LOVE wine, minor Foodies (even the 13yr old is pretty adventurous), gravitate towards cute small towns rather than large metro cities; don't want to spend lots of time in museums. DD loves animals-horses, sports, music. We've done many trips where we move frequently and don't mind it, like to see as much as we can, but will minimize 1-nighters. Husband is a capable and willing driver. Never been to either country (other than short business trip to Barcelona).

I am working on our itinerary and have gotten this far. The only thing set in stone is our inbound/outbound flights. I am starting to panic because I know I need to book another flight to get us from Portugal to Spain SOON.

Fri, Jun 6 – Arrive Lisbon 10am

Sat, Jun 7 – Lisbon

Sun, Jun 8 – Train to Porto OR Train to Sintra, pick up car and drive to Porto

Mon, Jun 9 – Porto

Tue, Jun 10 – Drive to Duoro Valley, spend night

Wed, Jun 11 – Drive back to Porto; evening flight to either Madrid or Valencia (Ryan Air seems to be only cheap option left); pick up car & overnight likely by airport.

Thu, Jun 12 – Arcos area of Andalusia? OR Chulilla?

Fri, Jun 13 – Arcos area of Andalusia? OR Chulilla?

Sat, Jun 14 – Cordoba? OR Valencia

Sun, Jun 15 – Cordoba? OR Valencia?

Mon, Jun 16 – Drop car somewhere near Madrid and train to Barcelona OR Train Valencia-Barcelona

Tue, Jun 17 – Thu, Jun 19 – Barcelona

Fri, Jun 20 – Fly out about noon

As you can see, I am most unsure about Jun 12 - Jun 16 whether to center in Andalusia or Valencia. And, yes, I fully realize we are skipping Madrid for this trip. Can't do everything!

I would appreciate your help - thank you!!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help for Portugal/Spain trip in June

McCarder:

For train travel in Spain:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Andalusia is more interesting than Valencia. I would choose Cordoba over Valencia. Nothing beats the Mezquita.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help for Portugal/Spain trip in June

*****We like beautiful natural areas, limited interest in history although like it in highlights & small doses, very limited interest in art - although looking forward to the major Gaudi sights, adults-LOVE wine, minor Foodies (even the 13yr old is pretty adventurous), gravitate towards cute small towns rather than large metro cities; don't want to spend lots of time in museums.****

Then you need to rethink your plans as I can only see you visiting cities except the Duoro Valley. And then you only want to spend one night. One nighters just do not work.

For more countryside and less cities get a hire car from Oporto and travel a circular route around North Portugal and into Spain. Load of countryside and wine areas to visit.

Have you read the strict luggage rules for Ryanair?

Illinois (Chicago...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help for Portugal/Spain trip in June

Thank you for your comments. Re-thinking plan a bit....

Now thinking will instead fly from Porto to Barcelona for which the flights are more available (on Wed, Jun 11 came choose from Vueling, Iberia, or TAP all for about the same decent price). Am also contemplating one more nigth in the Porto/Duoro Valley area (2 nights each) and flying on Thurs to Barcelona, but only flight available is a late TAP flight (8:20 pm) which still may be ok.

Then for the balance of the trip, we can spend 1/2 the time in Barcelona and 1/2 the time in Catalonia/Costa Brava (rental car) perhaps 2 nights in beach area and 2 nights inland/wine region?

What do you all think of that alternate plan?

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help for Portugal/Spain trip in June

Sounds a lot better.

wine areas around the north Costa Brava.

http://www.doemporda.cat/en/home.html

Penedés (very famous wine region) http://www.dopenedes.cat/en

Pla del Bages. http://www.dopladebages.com/index

Alella a very small area to the north of Barcelona. http://www.doalella.org/cellers-doalella

I think that should keep you busy with the wine tourism side of your trip ;-)

Illinois (Chicago...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help for Portugal/Spain trip in June

Thanks for your help so far!

I am now working on the last 4 day/3 nights of our trip. This would be after spending two nights in L'Escala (Costa Brava). Here is what I am thinking:

On Tuesday, head west, with a stop in Besalu and then onward to somewhere around Queralbs for a 2 night stay. Activities would include the cog-rail train up to Vall de Nuria then hiking back, rafting adventure at the Parc Olimpic del Segre in La Seu d'Urgell, and a quick trip over the border to Andorra.

On Thursday, head south towards Penedes region. If get an early start, then possibly stop to do Montserrat. Else just stop at 1 or 2 Cava houses or other wineries. Stay overnight here. Head to airport in morning for 12:00 noon flight.

So now I am looking for lodging suggestions both in the area mentioned above and in the Penedes region. Would love our last night to be someplace very memorable. Thanks!

6. Re: Itinerary help for Portugal/Spain trip in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15