We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal / Spain - rental car vs. public transport

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Portugal / Spain - rental car vs. public transport

hey all

im visiting portugal and spain for a few weeks starting next week and im stuck on finding a decent car rental place that isnt too expensive, and will allow me to travel between the 2 countries

I need it for 2 legs (so preferable to be able to drop it off at the end of leg 1, and pick up a new rental for leg 2)

leg 1

lisbon > algarve > seville > granada (drop off here)

leg 2

san sebastian > pyronees mountains > barcelona (drop off here)

any recommendations? public transport is decent but i dont have much time on this visit sadly and i dont want to waste so much of it on public transport

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugal / Spain - rental car vs. public transport

Most car hire will allow you to travel in both Spain and Portugal.

However picking up in one and drop off in another is the problem you have encountered.

If you are fixed on this route then you will have to take public transport between The Algarve and Seville.

On leg 2 a car will be ok.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portugal / Spain - rental car vs. public transport

Car rentals www.auto-europe.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Spain

www.visitportugal.com www.spain.info

3. Re: Portugal / Spain - rental car vs. public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:16