We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inland holiday with teens

bolton,
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Inland holiday with teens

Hi all, my husband and I would love to spend a couple of weeks discovering inland spain for our holidays as we have dreams of possibly retiring there one day. However, at the moment, we are still holidaying with our 13 year old daughter and 14 year old son. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a destination which would allow us to sample some 'real' Spain without having to listen to incessant cries of 'this is boring' for two weeks! :)

I've been researching the Lake Iznajar area close to Malaga/Cordoba but am not convinced there is enough to keep them occupied for longer than a few days, especially as they are not great walkers, although they do love watersports. Have also considered splitting the trip into two, one week in rural Spain and one at a beach location, but definitely wouldn't want a 'brits abroad' area. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks, C.C.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inland holiday with teens

Have a look at the Lake Vinuela area - stunning inland scenery, local villages Los Romanes, La Vinuela, Periana, Alcaucin and many more within a short drive BUT only 20 minutes drive from the beach.

If you visit July and August during Spanish school holidays the local hotel - Hotel Vinuela - opens its pool to non-residents (small charge) that is popular with both Spanish and Brit Ex-Pat teenagers so your youngsters would soon make friends. For sports lovers the hotel is next door to a dinghy hire centre for sailing/canoeing on the lake and there is Horse Trekking from Periana; the local Football ground - close to the hotel - opens during school hols for training etc.

Many local villas for rent if you want self-catering accommodation.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 20:44
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inland holiday with teens

ceecee:

Thirteen km east of Malaga is El Rincon de la Victoria, which is 100% Spanish and has good beaches. There are convenient buses to Malaga, so your children can be entertained by shopping in Malaga.

You are right that most inland areas have few things for teenagers to do and will bore them after a day or two.

Ardales is inland and there are three reservoirs there. One of them has canoes.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 05:17
uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inland holiday with teens

Ah yes...those haunting cries of "this is boring"...even though you're surrounded by theme parks, beaches, waterparks, latenight entertainment, watersports, pool tables, arcades, looky looky guys selling brightly lit tat, music..etc etc........ive resigned myself to the truth that teens are bored.....permanently.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 06:12
uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inland holiday with teens

My last holiday every corner of the hotel lobby was filled with the long faces of solitary teens sat on their tablets using hotel wi fi......whilst us and the other parents sat in the bar singing chi chi waaa, chi chi waaa......chi chi waaa waaa waaa. Lol

5. Re: Inland holiday with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:15