We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

Adelaide
Level Contributor
14 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

Hi All,

I am starting to plan the Spanish leg of a 6 week France/Spain family trip planned for mid March through April 2015. We expect we will spend a week in Madrid, near the end of which we will hire a car to get in a couple of day trips to Toledo & Segovia.

From Madrid the current concept is to travel by road to Seville (530km; stay 3 nights), then Granada (253km; stay 2 nights), then Valencia (498km; stay 2 nights), and finally Barcelona (350km; stay 7 nights). From Barcelona we will fly home to Australia.

We are used to long drives (the norm in Australia) and have driven in Europe before (Italy) - but, I'm interested in what others may think about the longer distance legs i.e. Madrid>Seville and Granada>Valencia and whether we will be busting up too much time driving given the number of nights we are contemplating in each location.

Are we smarter to take a train for the longer legs and drive only the shorter distances? Should we be spending more time in some locations and less in others?

As always, all help very much appreciated.

France, Andorra, and Spain from...
1,041 reviews
from US$147.40*
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
2,943 reviews
from US$44.60*
Barcelona City Tour, Sagrada Familia...
1,650 reviews
from US$113.00*
Special Offer
Montserrat and Oller del Mas Tour...
438 reviews
from US$113.33*
US$119.30
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

all this can be done by a combination of train and bus, and it will be less time consuming most of the time.... but a car is not a bad idea. roads are good (much better than in Italy, for example) and most of the time for free (some tolls). From madrid to seville take the A-5 and then A-66 instead of the A-4. I would add 1 or 2 days more in seville, so you can do a daytrip to cordoba.

the only problem is parking in cities, which is costly (15-20 euros per day)

Edited: 07 May 2014, 09:03
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,594 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

Madrid to Segovia and Toledo use the trains www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Renfe trains Madrid to Seville, and take a couple days off Barcelona to visit by car the White villages of Andalucía www.andalucia.com/villages/home.htm

Car rental Seville and drop off in Granada www.autoeurope.com.au

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International driving permit for Spain, contact the RAA.

Renfe trains Granada to Valencia to Barcelona and buses www.alsa.es

Alhambra tickets book in advance www.ticketmaster.es

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.spain.info

Adelaide
Level Contributor
14 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

Wow - so quick & so helpful! Thanks Myscreen & Nuri (just up the road)!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,642 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

I'd suggest driving to Seville via Extremadura to visit Cáceres and Trujillo, home of the conquistadores, and Mërida a Roman capital, or even via Salamanca then Caceres, it's an area little visited and very impressive.

I'd suggest reducing time in Madrid by quite a lot unless you are huge museum-goers and also in BCN unless various day-trips planned.

Adding Cadiz provinces for white villages and more also sounds good to me

Adelaide
Level Contributor
14 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

Thanks All,

Lynda/Nuri - how does this sound? Travel in Spain will be from 17/4/15 to 30/4/15, flying back to Australia on 1/5/15. This gives 21 days in country. Based on your feedback & suggestions:

Madrid 4 nts

Trujillo/Caceres 2 nts

Seville 3 nts

Cadiz 2 nts

Malaga 1 nt

Granada 2 nts

Murcia 1 nt

Valencia 2 nts

Barcelona 4 nts

Having checked distances & times on www.viamichelin.com I'm thinking driving would work for all bar the Valencia>Barcelona leg which we would train.

Thoughts?

regards

Richard

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

one nighters just do not work. It never allows you enough time to see where you are visiting.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
14 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

Re 1 nighters don't work: Yep - prefer to have at least 2 nights where we can. So perhaps I go for 2 nts in Malaga, skip Murcia on this visit - which means I could leave the hire car behind in Granada and train from there to Valencia & Barcelona.

Is this sounding more sensible?

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

Yes 100%

I have never seen the attraction of Murcia, especially over Malága. I expect someone will be along to "rubbish" my thoughts about the 2 cities now :-(

9. Re: Driving Itinerary 'time & space' reality check please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:17