We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe Ave Pass Confusion

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Renfe Ave Pass Confusion

Hi all,

I've reading all about the AVE passes & tickets on the forums but I am still a bit confused what would work best for me. My Spain itinerary over a 2 month in June - July period looks a bit like the below and I want to know if it would be worth buying a RENFE pass instead of individual one way tickets. Any help will be really appreciated. I am also looking at buses for some routes, but want to avoid flights where I can to save time.

Thanks,

Neha

Barcelona - Madrid

Madrid - Seville

Seville - Granda

Granda - Malaga

Malaga - Cordoba

Cordoba - Madrid - Santiago

Santiago - Oviedo

Oviedo - Santander

Santander - Bilbao

Bilbao - San Sebastin

San Sebastin - Pamplona

Pamplona - Zaragoza

Zaragoza - Girona

Girona - Barcelona

Barcelona - Valencia

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe Ave Pass Confusion

As long winded and time consuming as it will be, the only way to find out is to do the maths comparison.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe Ave Pass Confusion

On such a long journey by public transport you need to obviously build in some flexibility and in several cases a bus would prove better than a train. The pass offered by RENFE only really pays dividends if you have some long distance legs and you do not wish to spend so much time looking for the discounted tickets or cannot make use of the over 60s card.

The seats on trains will still need to be booked even with a Renfe pass so perhaps you should just look into the longest sectors first and see if you can book seats in advance using Renfe or if not then another booking agent. The Promo + fares allow selection of seats.

Many shorter routes will not offer any discounted fares and can usually just be bought at the station.

Long distance buses are sometimes better options for example more times on Madrid to Granada using ALSA.

3. Re: Renfe Ave Pass Confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:17