We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Driving Permit?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
International Driving Permit?

I want to drive in Spain, so do I really need a international driving permit??? Because I've driven in a lot of different countries without it and just have heard of this for the first time. Does anybody who anything about this? Thanks!

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Driving Permit?

It is a legal requirement, but the the car rental agent has no obligation to ensure you have one.

See some previous discourse on the subject in Top Questions under Transport >>>>>

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Driving Permit?

you need a IDP in Spain if your driving permit is not an EU one or the language of it is not Spanish. It is a legal requirement and you can get fined if you don't carry one.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,389 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Driving Permit?

I think that many traffic police may not have a good grasp of English and if you are pulled over and they ask to see your license they may only be able to understand the International Permit as this is provided in several languages and would be understood easily. Along with your home license.

As a UK license holder I do not need this Permit because of the European Union regulations but in the old days before the advent of Euroland had to also think about taking out Bail Bond insurance ! It was a concern in those days that you could be hauled off to jail if you did not show immediate proof of having funds !

There are other legal requirements for driving in Spain so would be sensible to check all.

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: International Driving Permit?

Thank you guys for all your help!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Driving Permit?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c86680/Malaga…

6. Re: International Driving Permit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:17