We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

Dear Friends,

If you are planning to rent a car in Spain, NEVER NEVER NEVER rent a car from Goldcar. They are nothing but a rip off company!

Beware of Goldcar. If I were you I would never rent one of their cars. This company is a rip off and what may look like a good price for a rental car contract often ends up costing you a lot of money in undeserved extra fees.

If you go to their Facebook page or type Golcra in twitter you will see that there are literally thousands of people there complaining about their abusive rental practices. Unfortunately I can only confirm that we have experienced the same abusive practices than many other people here. In our case we have been charged 520 EUR for some scratches we never did to the car we rented. Long story short, our car was full of scratches practically everywhere when we received it. We never got the check out page from Goldcar when we asked for it.Soon after we returned the car the car a couple of days later and during their closing hours, Goldcar claimed there were 2 new scratches and took 520 EUR from our credit car deposit. So by virtue of magic, Goldcar has converted a 80 EUR car rental into a 600 EUR business!

Unfortunately Goldcar's Customer Service department has been absolutely unhelpful so the only thing we can do is to warn others not to use Goldcar!

NEVER NEVER NEVER rent from this rip off company! they are nothing but a SCAM!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
484 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience and it is good to let others know. Unfortunately most people find out of others problems after they have had a bad experience themselves. It is getting worse all the time the stories you hear about Goldcar.....

I think I know the rules inside out and the copy of my car check was absolutely covered in x's when I inspected the car so I couldn't see how they could possibly find anything wrong on return as every panel was marked as damaged. They didn't so I thought I was ok but unfortunately I had not thought about mechanical breakdowns (their problem I thought) but was charged 150 euros to have their broken down car recovered back to them. It is just a case of NOT using them as you say as it is not worth the stress and grief you may be faced with.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

Thanks john!

My check out paper was also full of x's and still they manage to find a coupe of scratches that according to there new even though we dd not do any damages to the care.

We did the check out at night in a dark parking that was badly illuminated close to Bilbao airport . According to The Goldcar lady that gave us he car there were no scratches at all in it. When we had a first quick look the car was full of scratches everywhere. They did not give us a copy of the the check out form even do we asked for one arguing that it was not needed.. I returned the car during closing hours of the Goldcar office and as soon as they opened in the morning they sen us an email saying that the car had two new scratched and that they would charge us 520 EUR for them. The scratches were minuscule and there is no way we could have seen them in the darkness of their parking. I am sure they had to be there before we took the car as we did not do anything to it.

they are basically an SCAM! If you type Goldcar in twitter you will see that there are literally thousands of people complaining about their abusive practices.

3. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 13:19
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

@Goldcar. I already sent you several emails and you only replied saying that you will not refund anything.

Actually, I love how you pretend to look into this cases only wehn one complains in Social Networks but in reality you do nothing at all about it after all.

Given that you are still pure scam, like hundreds of other ex-Goldcar clients I have started my own 365 days ANTI GOLDCAR SCAM campaign in Twitter and other social networks. I have also filed an official complain against you and asked Mastercard to look into the case and ask back the money you stole from my credit card.

GOLDCAR: you are juts a bunch of scammers!!!

TO OTHER CAR RENTAL USER: never use this company. If you are unfortunate enough to have done so and are a victim of a scam like hundreds of other Goldcar clients my advise is that you ask your credit card company to block any payments to Goldcar and file a complain through your country's consumer center. Through this link you can find the addresses of the local offices in each EU country:

europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/co…

And if you want to talk to other Goldcar victims the "Goldcar Scam Victims" (https://twitter.com/GoIdcar) page in in Twitter may be interesting for you.

San Juan de...
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

Dear Uriaste,

As you were informed on Twitter, your case has been passed on to Customer Service and is being investigated. Please allow them to continue making the necessary inquiries with the local office so that this can be resolved. You will receive a detailed response from them as soon as they have more information.

Sincerely,

Victoria R.

Goldcar Representative

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

@Goldcar.You reply to me here pretending you care when you actually replied earlier that you will not refund anything.

Actually, I love how you pretend to look into this cases only when one complains in Social Networks but in reality you do nothing at all about it after all.

GOLDCAR YOU ARE JUST A BIG SCAM!

Everyone, don't be fooled by Goldcar's nice words. You can see in the twitter link below how many people are victim's of Goldcar's scam to the point that they can only protest in Twitter

https://twitter.com/GoIdcar

7. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 13:19
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

So here is an update to the GOLDCAR SCAM story.

After requesting Goldcar's customer service for a reimbursement of the car damages we never caused It took Goldcar 2 days to reply they would not reimburse any money.

I nevertheless decided to file an official complaint at the local Consumer's Office of the Basque Government on May 16. Today I have received an email from the Official Consumer's Office of the Basque Government that attached a reply from Goldcar.In the letter Goldcar states that the damages they initially claimed and charge us for were not caused by us and actually the car was damaged before we rented it (as we always claimed form the beginning). Therefore Goldcar has this after all this time decided to reimburse the ~500 EUR they took from us.

My conclusion:

Goldcar charged 500 EUR to us for damages the car clearly had before we rented it. Goldcar admits this point.

Goldcar does not reimburse any money if you file a claim with their customer services. That was our experience.

They however consider your file a claim at the relevant official government authorities. Actually Goldcar decided to reimburse the damages that we never caused. "In Goldcar we are nice people you know!"

The business model of Goldcar is the following: We rent you a car for 65 EUR for a car that has scratches all over. When you return the car we charge the petrol you consumed at 3 times the market price under our "convenient" flex fuel policy. On top of it we charge you an additional 500 EUR for some damages you have never caused. By the way we have already charged other 10 clients before for the same scratches. We hope you will not file an official complain and will magically convert a 65 EUR car rental contract into a 600 EUR business.

MY ADVISE: NEVER NEVER USE GOLDCAR UNLESS YOU LIKE TO THROW AWAY YOUR MONEY. AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DID AND PAID BIG TIME FOR THE MISTAKE, FILE AN OFFICIAL COMPLAINT AT YOUR LOCAL CONSUMER OFFICER!

San Juan de...
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

Dear Uriaste,

Please take into consideration that last year alone we handed out more than 1 million keys (an average of 3000 a day), so we do need to leave a bit of margin for human error. Of all those customers, only a few dissatisfied ones such as yourself have written negative reviews or filed complaints (to us or the Customer’s office). Whenever possible, and after evaluating their case in detail, we have reimbursed them for whatever charge they claimed was unjustified. Furthermore, please note that offering top rate vehicles in optimal condition is our number one priority; 70% of our +30,000 car fleet is renewed annually and we have numerous positive reviews that reflect this fact.

Sincerely,

Victoria R.

Goldcar Representative

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar car rental is a SCAM. AVOID IT!!!

Our had 20+ scratches on it when you gave it to us. Even the radio aerial was snapped off (and rusted so I presume it'd been like that for ages). Our car was in an AWFUL condition.

Not to mention putting a charge on my card without telling for for "damage" that wasn't caused by me.

Avoid this company at all costs.