We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schengen Visa advice required please

Watford, England
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Schengen Visa advice required please

Wasn’t sure where to post this as there isn’t a dedicated Europe forum so I’ve put it here in the hope that someone may be able to help.

I am asking this question on behalf of friend who is a Pakistani national. He has an existing multi entry Schengen visa obtained via the Italian embassy for a previous trip that expires in January 2007. He wishes to visit Spain and Germany in January to attend a trade fair and has two questions.

1. As the visa was issued by the Italian embassy is it now possible to enter a different Schengen country, i.e. Spain or Germany, or must he enter Italy first.

2. This relates to the expiry date. Does the visa need to have a minimum number of days left on it in order to enter. Provided he enters a Schengen country before the visa expires and does not stay more that the allotted 15 days can he move between Spain and Germany after the visa has expired. Must he leave the Schengen area before the visa expires.

I have done some research myself and am pretty sure that he will be OK entering Spain or Germany with an Italian issued visa but am not sure about the second question. Is there anyone with experience of Schengen visas who can help.

Many Thanks

Clive

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Schengen Visa advice required please

Staying illegal in Germany is a criminal offence and maybe there's a certain risk that your friend can be arrested. Your friend should contact the Italian embassy.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schengen Visa advice required please

According to the European Union's immigration website, a Schengen visa is valid in all of the signatory states, of which Germany and Spain are both members. There appears to be no requirement to enter the sovereign state, by which the visa was issued. The visa held by your friend is a Schengen visa (thus valid in all of the Schengen countries); it is not an Italian visa.

As to whether your friend may stay in a Schengen country after the visa expires, I would have thought the answer would be yes. Visa validity dates usually specify the dates between which the holder may enter a country. Thus if a visa expires on 30th March and the authorised period of stay is ninety days, the traveller may remain until 1st July if the traveller enters on 30th March.

As long as your friend does not exceed his authorised period of stay in the Schengen area and does not travel outside of it to move between Spain and Germany, he should be fine.

www.euimmigration.org/schengen_visa.html

3. Re: Schengen Visa advice required please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 07:20