We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

Hello,

My husband and I are leaving Nov. 3rd for 8 nights in Spain. I am booking hotels and a flight from Barcelona to Seville. Any suggestions on time frame? should we do 3 nights Barcelona, 2 Seville and 3 Madrid? Or would it be better to spend more time in Seville.

This is our first time to Spain, We enjoy food, wine, shopping and sights.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

Lorraine

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

The topic was supposed to be " Which city should we cut short"... I'm at work...and rushing :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

I'd suggest that you pick just two cities and try to enjoy your stay instead of traveling across the country and spending half your time at the airport, standing in long lines and going to and from your hotel.

Don't forget, your first night will be needed to recover from the jet lag.

You might also want to download a copy of Maribel's Guides to Barcelona, Sevilla and Madrid. There is a lot of good information on where to dine and shop you may find useful.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

Thanks Robert,

In your opinion which two cities would you visit between the three of them?

I have already booked my flight fom Philadelphia to Barcelona (which stops in Madrid first) and From Madrid back to Philadelphia.

Really wish I had a month!

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

Based on your flight schedule, you should reserve Sevilla for another trip when you have more time. Andalucia is great in the fall and spring.

Concentrate on enjoying Barcelona and Madrid on this trip. I would add one extra day to Madrid so that you can take a day trip to Toledo.

Let me know if you need any hotel suggestions. There are a number of great hotels to choose from, most of which are listed in Maribel's Guides.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

Thanks Robert!

I suppose that will be what we do. Technically, we don't have to go to Barcelona, we could just stay in Madrid/Andulucia area... This is starting to get a bit overwhelming :) I would have no problem getting myself around Italy/France and the Netherlands. It's always when you go someplace new, I just want to go to the right places.

If you have any hotel suggestions that would be great, I have been going off of the reviews of tripAdvisor. I am interested in all different types of accommodation for instance, I was looking at Casa Camper in Barcelona then Alfonso XIII in Seville. I have not looked yet at Madrid. I will be looking at Maribel's guide, (Thank you)

Any restaurants you would recommend?

Thank you!

Lorraine

Madrid
Level Contributor
169 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

Hola....

If I were you and I wanted to cut it down to two cities:

I'd do Madrid and Sevilla. Sevilla is pure magic...a city not to miss! Everything you have every dreamed about Spain, you'll find it there. Madrid is also very Spanish and full of Art...the Prado, the Thyssen, the Reina Sofia. Between Madrid and Sevilla runs the superfast AVE train so it is easy to do. Plus both cities deserve at least three days to really enjoy them. Also, as Robert said, one day you'll just be exhausted from the travel.

You can also make the easy sidetrip to either Toledo or Segovia from Madrid.

Barcelona, for me personally, is an overwhelming city. There is just so much do do there...it shouldn't be rushed. Three days is the absolute minimum I'd give it. With four you could fit in a trip to Montserrat or the Penedes cava region.

I do agree that the 3 cities in 8 days is too much. Figure you'll lose one day to jet lag, then 2 more to in-country travel/hotel check-in, etc.

Anyway, don't know if I helped or made it more complicated.

oh, the one comment I can add about Casa Camper is upgrade to a suite. The regular rooms are actually split into two. Your bedroom is on one side of the hall and your lounge area is across the hall. It is a cool idea, but a bit tedious in practice.

Happy Travels...

and please report back what you decide!

Madrid
Level Contributor
169 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

oh...i see you are already flying into BCN, so it makes sense for you to go there and Mad.

well, be sure and work a daytrip into Montserrat!!! it is such a tranquil chg from the buzzy Barcelona pace!

new york
Level Contributor
910 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

I would cut Madrid short. Do 4 nights Barcelona.

I haven't been to Seville.

We just did 5 nights Barcelona including one day in Girona/Figueres which was worth it.

And we did 5 nights Madrid including one day in Toledo which was worth it.

4 and 4 would have been fine.

9. Re: Which City should should we cut short? Bar, Sev or Madrid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 13:16