We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain in 2.5 weeks or 3 Weeks

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
583 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Spain in 2.5 weeks or 3 Weeks

Hi All.

I have never been to spain before. I want to go there for around 21/2-3 weeks in summer 2015

Where should i go ?? I know the major cities -- but i also want some advice to really embrace the culture and Country that Spain is.

Any tips on which cities to hit?

SO far i know i want to go to Madrid, Barcelona, Ibiza,

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,090 posts
3,467 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain in 2.5 weeks or 3 Weeks

DVD:

The best method of traveling in Spain is the train:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

My suggestions for an itinerary:

Madrid - 4 days. Downtown Madrid is the Gran Via, which has many hotels, restaurants and stores. You can use expedia.com to screen hotels in this area. An upscale barrio is Salamanca Barrio, where there is more security, and more elegant stores at Calle Serrano (the Fifth Avenue of Madrid). Use expedia.com to screen hotels in this area. Do not stay at an airport hotel because there is nothing to see there than other airport hotels.

It is suggested to stay in Madrid for at least 4 days. Do one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia and if you have time another to El Escorial. Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

Take the train to Cordoba and stay 2 days.

Take the train to Granada and stay 2 days. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY. A good hotel downtown is the Vincci Albayzin.

Take the train to Seville and stay 3 days. A good hotel is the Hotel Becquer, walkable to most sights.

Take the train to Malaga and stay 3 days, with one day trip to Ronda.

Fly Vueling to Barcelona and stay 4 days. Downtown Barcelona is the Plaza de Catalunya. A good place to stay is the Eixample, the modern barrio of the city built in the 19th and 20th centuries, with a square grid of streets. This includes modernist buildings built by Gaudi like the Sagrada Familia Basilica, Casa Mila and Casa Batllo. There are other notable modernist buildings here by other famous architects. The Paseo de Gracia is the most elegant avenue, with upscale stores. Use expedia.com to screen hotels in the area, a very good area to stay in.

Read the top questions in the Barcelona forum about the Sagrada Familia Basilica, Park Guell, and the Palau de la Musica Catalana because these sites need prebooking. A day trip to Montserrat is suggested.

Here is some info about Malaga:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine (320 days of sunshine a year), and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has 14 museums (among them the Glass and Crystal Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum, Automobile Museum, and the two Picasso Museums), historic churches (four founded by the Catholic Kings), and monuments that include two castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro). The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. The city is very safe. The Malaga Park is a very large semi-tropical park and beside it is a new park called the Palmeral de las Sorpresas at the port. Muelle Uno is a new shopping/restaurant complex at the port. The Gardens of La Concepcion are the largest tropical plant gardens in Europe. There are about 1000 buildings from the 19th century downtown, one of the largest and best conserved collections in Spain.

The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Shopping is wonderful and most stores are walkable from downtown. Downtown has Calle Larios, Calle Nueva, and Calle Granada and surrounding streets, with many boutiques. El Corte Ingles is a large department store near downtown. Two shopping malls near downtown are the Larios Center and Vialia.

Good hotels in good locations:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio – Good location near Calle Larios. The rooftop restaurant is a romantic place during twilight with a great view of the port.

4-star: Hotel Molina Lario – Good location near Calle Larios with parking. The hotel restaurant Café de Bolsa is a very good restaurant.

4-star: Hotel NH Malaga – Good hotel with a large parking space.

3-star: Hotel Don Curro – Good hotel near Calle Larios.

2-star: Ibis Malaga Centro Ciudad

Bed and breakfast: La Casa Azul is a small and elegant place near the Malagueta Beach.

The Restaurant El Pimpi at Calle Granada, 62, has Andalusian decoration and music and one can have tapas and try Malaga’s sweet wine here (the Malaga Virgen moscatel is delicious). This is the restaurant that celebrities are brought to. Movie stars and members of royalty have all been here.

Malaga was named by Trip Advisor as the 7th best destination in the “Traveler’s Choice 2013 – Top 10 Destinations of Spain” list.

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
583 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain in 2.5 weeks or 3 Weeks

Wow! Thanks for the detailed respnse. I will probably have more questions the more research I do

I just want to be able to really get to know Spain.. Rather than just do the touristic things most people do.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spain in 2.5 weeks or 3 Weeks

Purchase a few guide books. Develop an itinerary based on your interests. Each will give you a different perspective on the same sights. Once you decide where you want to go, develop specific questions. We, then, will better able to assist you. Happy travels!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spain in 2.5 weeks or 3 Weeks

getting to know spain in 3 weeks is an impossible task. it is a big and diverse country, so you'll get to know some aspects of spain in that timeframe.

there are many different aspects that you can see or discover in spain, depending on your interests. do you want to focus on wine, food, seaside, beaches, trekking in the mountains, countryside, natural parks, snow, big cities, small villages, culture, museums, theatres, music, ....?

I would recommend to buy a guide book of spain (lonely planet or other) and to check what may interest you. Usually they have 3-weeks tours proposals.

You already decided madrid, barcelona and ibiza. It also depends how long you want to spend in each place. I wouldn't spend less than 5 days in madrid (with daytrips to toledo and segovia) and less than 5 days in barcelona (with daytrip to monserrat and maybe a beach town like sitges). Ibiza at least 2 days. With the remaining time I would focus on an extra region or city that you might be interested in. My suggestion would either be Andalusia (a week circuit in the "big three" - cordoba, seville, granada) or Basque Country (visiting Bilbao/San Sebastian and some quaint coast villages)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,674 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spain in 2.5 weeks or 3 Weeks

For me the real Spain is actually in Cadiz Province where you have the mix of beautiful Atlantic facing beaches so popular with the inhabitants who live inland where it can get so hot in the inland cities. Plus the chance to see some of the inland scenery like the "pueblos blancos" and visit towns that are so different in cultures and histories. The Moors left a huge legacy from all those centuries ago that if I wander around Arcos de la Frontera old town I can just imagine that I could be living pre "reconquista".

The sherry business provided much employment in Cadiz Province and if you know your sherries it can be a real enjoyment to visit different bodegas for tasting.

If you stop in Cadiz old city you will find the embodiment of cultural Spain with the founding of present day Spain back just over 200 yeas back. The constitution of 1812. Read about it as it marked an important time for Spain and its development.

You can take a train from Madrid all the way via Cordoba and Seville to Cadiz by the way. This is the way that thousands of folk living in those cities may use in summer ! So follow the Spanish and visit Cadiz Province next summer ?

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
583 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spain in 2.5 weeks or 3 Weeks

Awesome guys !!!

You're right I should probably read more.

I didn't expect to know Spain completely in three weeks but to get to know part of Spain at least. I want to do two countries and don't have that much time :0

I will be back with more questions

7. Re: Spain in 2.5 weeks or 3 Weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 06:15