We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain visit during Dec-Jan 2014

Bengaluru, India
4 posts
Save Topic
Spain visit during Dec-Jan 2014

Hi,

I am visiting Spain during this December-January 2014, and would like to seek expert help from this forum regarding my itinerary.

I will be travelling with my wife and two teenage children - We are unlikely to return to Spain, as we travel only once a year!. We are interested in seeing historical monuments/architecture, and also understand the culture.

My proposed intinerary:

21st Dec : Flying into Madrid.

22nd Dec : Madrid tour - Royal Palace, Retiro Park, Puerta del Sol, and general hop-on hop-off tour.

23rd Dec : Day trip to Segovia - viewing Aquaduct. (Any other interesting things to see here?)

24th Dec : Day trip to Toledo : Gothic Cathedral and El Greco Painting. (What are the other interesting things to see in Toledo?)

25th Dec: Day trip to a nature park near Madrid. Any suggestsions? I chose this as all other tourist attractions would be closed.

26th Dec : Travel to Cordoba. View the Mezquita, Jewist Quarter and proceed to Seville.

27th Dec : Seville Day tour : Columbus's Tomb, Giralda Bell Tower, Plaza d'Espana, Maria Luisa Park.

28th Dec : Travel to Granada, tour Alhambra and Generalife.

29th Dec : Travel to Valencia, tour Serranos tower, Quart Tower

30th Dec : Tour Gothic Cathedral, Lonja Silk Exchange, Museum of Las Fallas and Proceed to Barcelona.

31st Dec : Barcelona Day tour including Columbus Monument; Parc Montjuic; Antonio Gaudi’s UNESCO World Heritage sites including “La Sagrada Familia,” Parc Guell, Bartlo House and the unconventional Casa Mila building.

1st Jan : Anything to see in and around Barcelona on this date? (As most things will be closed?)

2nd Jan : Fly out of Barcelona.

I am thinking of hiring my own car from 23rd Dec and return it on arrival at Barcelona on 30th Dec - This seems the most economical way of transport compared to train, which seems expensive for the 4 of us. Please let me know if this is a good idea.

We are strict vegetarians, and any restaurant suggestions will help. Any short stay apartments with kitchen could help as well, if we cant find vegetarian food to our liking.

Any comments/suggestions welcome!

Edited: 04 August 2014, 05:10
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,650 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain visit during Dec-Jan 2014

vissu:

I think you mean 2015.

There is no free parking in Spanish cities and hotels charge 12 to 25 euros a day for parking.

In Segovia you can see the Castle and the Cathedral, besides the aqueduct

For Toledo, read the top questions in the Toledo forum.

Read the top question in the forum of each city because there are vegetarian restaurants listed.

Downtown Madrid is the Gran Via, which has many hotels, restaurants and stores. You can use expedia.com to screen hotels in this area. An upscale barrio is Salamanca Barrio, where there is more security, and more elegant stores at Calle Serrano (the Fifth Avenue of Madrid). Use expedia.com to screen hotels in this area. Do not stay at an airport hotel because there is nothing to see there than other airport hotels.

It is suggested to stay in Madrid for at least 4 days. Do one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia and if you have time another to El Escorial. Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

Downtown Barcelona is the Plaza de Catalunya. A good place to stay is the Eixample, the modern barrio of the city built in the 19th and 20th centuries, with a square grid of streets. This includes modernist buildings built by Gaudi like the Sagrada Familia Basilica, Casa Mila and Casa Batllo. There are other notable modernist buildings here by other famous architects. The Paseo de Gracia is the most elegant avenue, with upscale stores. Use expedia.com to screen hotels in the area, a very good area to stay in.

Read the top questions in the Barcelona forum about the Sagrada Familia Basilica, Park Guell, and the Palau de la Musica Catalana because these sites need prebooking. A day trip to Montserrat is suggested.

You need 2 days in Granada. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

Bengaluru, India
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain visit during Dec-Jan 2014

Hi BennyMalaga,

Many thanks for your comments.

Very good info regarding car parking charges, suggestions for stay in Madrid/Barcelona, El Escorial/Montserrat trips, duration for Granda stay and prebooking advise.

I will try to rejig my trip based on this info.

Thanks again!

(and Yes, I meant Dec-14, Jan-15).

Vissu.

3. Re: Spain visit during Dec-Jan 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17