We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

I am organising a trip to Spain this year or early next year for about 10 people (young adults). Last year we went to Il Palio in Sienna Italy, which was recommended to me as the Italy event you had to see. I got a taste for those public celebrations - full of life, colour, drink and food! So this year I am searching for the Spain event for a similar trip. I have been told La Fiesta del Pilar in Zaragoza in October is interesting, but that may be a bit early for us, otherwise possibly Carnaval in Cadiz or Santa Cruz de Tenerife, or possibly even Las Fallas in Valencia. Can anyone give me information on these or other ideas ? Thanks, Gower.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,610 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

Cadiz seems to be a good choice if traveling at end February. Not in the same class as Il Palio but as the city is so historic with connections to the "discovery" of the Americas and of course its ancient importance to the different Mediterranean cultures that settled it would be a good place to visit. Plus it is really not far from Seville and Cordoba so depending on what the plans are one could see more than just Cadiz at Carnival time. Fly into Madrid and take the train down to Seville and on to Cadiz? Weather at that time can be beautiful.

Edited: 03 September 2016, 21:58
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,640 posts
3,767 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

I have been to the Fiesta del Pilar in Zaragoza in October. This is a wonderful event and the natives wear their native costumes and bring flowers to the Virgin Mary.

https:/…Events.And.Festivals.html

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

Thanks for your input on this. I am thinking that in Cadiz for Carnival there is maybe a whole week of activities, and staying in the local region we could also visit "sherry land" like Jerez, Sanlucar etc (apart from Sevilla, Cordoba etc). Not sure if accommodation is readily available in the se areas during Carnival ?

Maybe Pilar in Zaragoza does not have so much to capture the attention for more than a day or two ? Have read some blogs etc about the big party on one night spilling out onto teh streets, but not sure of there are activities apart from that ? G

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

I'd say no doubt the one to be at is Las Fallas in Valencia which is held in the week leading up to the 19th of March every year. Valencia is jam -packed, very lively. It is maybe not ideal for children as there is a lot of banger throwing. Great firework displays and the Fallas themselves (massive effigies set up in almost all of the streets) e night they burn them all down. For young people this is a real eye-opener on Spain. ONe of Spain's definitive Fiestas. There is a lot of outdoor partying impromptu concerts and always someone cooking a pealla. This is massively attended from inside and outside Spain so you must book a hotel early.

There is background and tips here: visitvalencia.com/en/…the-fallas

Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

For the spain event for sheer craziness, it has to be La Tomatina festival in Bunol near Valencia.

OMG, normal respectable people for one hour just pelt each other for an hour with tomatoes, which are shipped in by the lorry load.

Then after the hour, it just degenerates into an all day drinking session.

Pack swimming googles, as the tomatoes can be acidic in that quantity, and a spare change of clothes.

Awesome fun, and will create memories which will never leave you !

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

The best thing to do in Autumn or Winter in Spain is BABY BULL RUNNING! This is like bullfighting and running with the bulls all rolled into one! It's better to not do it in the hot summer months...those baby bulls make you work up a sweat! Ive done this a few times and it's always a blast! The bulls have fun chasing you and you have fun facing your fears...the photos from the event are always great. It takes place in your own special arena with little nooks and crannies to hide in and plenty of beer. This is a stag do favourite.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

I'd definitely recommend a trip round the wine region of La Rioja in Autumn, the colours are beautiful and you have the chance to taste a wide variety of Spain's best wines.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

El Classico is unmissable. The two best teams on the planet facing off in two ofbthebbeat cities in the world.

9. Re: The Spain event most suited to groups in Autumn or Winter ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2017, 05:16