We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help with andalusia itinerary

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
need help with andalusia itinerary

My husband and I will be in spain 6 nights in February. We fly in and out of malaga. I want to experience culture food and the people. I think we would like to see a bullfight, flamenco show , small villages, possibbly mijas ,nerja, ronda,jerez. I would also like to take the day trip to tangiers. I need a plan to see this area that starts and ends in malaga. i would rather not rent a car but if that is the best way I can do that. Do I have one home base was thinking marbella/ or travel to different hotels? thanks in advance.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,682 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help with andalusia itinerary

Dear Ohio:

I would recommend just staying in Marbella all the time. It is difficult to keep chainging hotels. I would skip Tangiers for another trip because there is more to see here (also with terrorism on the rise in Arab countries, I would not go there).

I suggest you rent a car so that you can see the white towns. Read the Inside Malaga pages for the Tour of the White Towns. You can also take day trips to Granada and Cordoba. Also do not miss downtown Malaga.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help with andalusia itinerary

You'll almost certainly need to rent a car. Andalusia is big.

I suspect that in terms of terrorist incidents Spain is a more dangerous place to visit than Morocco. There has been at least one serious atrocity in Spain this decade. I can't recall any across the water. I'd consider Tangiers for a day trip and would suggest staying for a couple of nights in Tarifa - fastest crossing to Tangier and a lovely little town in its own right.

Marbella would be a pretty good base for the other 4 nights.

If you're going to a bull fight, try to find one where there are novice/trainee bullfighters. Their competence is lower and the suffering of the bull is more poignant.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,682 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help with andalusia itinerary

Dear Pnada:

Please read this:

http://www.worldpress.org/Africa/1887.cfm

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help with andalusia itinerary

I second BennyMalagas suggestions.

If you include Tangiers I think your itinerary is far too hectic in such a short space of time.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help with andalusia itinerary

I wasn't aware of the Casablanca attacks, Benny, but I would still maintain that Spain has suffered more often and more greviously at the hands of terroists than Morocco. We spent a day in the company of a splendid guide in Tangier last year when we were able to discuss religious and political similarities and differences between Islam and "the west" and many other things. The article you quote does at least suggest that Morocco is a nations where tolerance and co-existence is encouraged.

6 nights is time to do quite a lot. We had 8 nights in Granada & Tarifa (4 each) and managed to see much of the Semana Santa celebrations, Tangiers, Gibraltar, much of the Costa de Luz, two days in the Sierra Nevada, a whale watching boat trip and much more. It surely is dependent upon how active you want your holiday to be. The only limiting factor I can think of is travelling time - Andalusia is quite large and it's a shame to spend all day every day in some form of transport. It might not be possible to do all of cakrisy's aspirations in that time, but most of them are possible. A car would, in my opinion, make them more achievable.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help with andalusia itinerary

thanks for the help it sounds like renting a car would be a plus just trying to get an itinerary idea

7. Re: need help with andalusia itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 15:19