We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twelve Days in Andalucia with Hiking

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Topic
Twelve Days in Andalucia with Hiking

I posted previously about our month-long Spain-Morocco trip in April. Thanks again for the excellent advice given. After carving out Barcelona, Madrid & Morocco, we have about 12 days days left for Andalucia, beginning in Tarifa & ending in Seville for flight back to Barcelona and home.

During this time, we want to see Granada, Cordoba & Seville and spend the rest of the time hiking. I have studied LP Spain, Rick Steves Spain, "Walking in Andalucia" by Hunter-Watts, and Discovery Walking Guide's "Sierra de Aracena."

The nagging questions are:

1. We would apportion about 6 days among the 3 cities. How many for each? We don't do museums, but we will include Alhambra and significant cathedrals. Mostly in cities we just wander around. Seville will be last because that's where we're leaving the area from.

2. Both walking books appear to require a car, but I assume buses are available to some extent. How to best use them?

3. Related to No. 2, can someone who is familiar with the area and its hiking advise us how to most efficiently use our hiking days? Where to stay, how to get there, etc? It would really be nice to be able to walk from one accommodation to the next.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Twelve Days in Andalucia with Hiking

Modification: Seville has to come earlier, and we'll just go back there to catch the plane. I just learned that prices of rooms in Seville double the day before we leave from there. Ignoring the cost, that also means larger crowds, which we want to avoid.

We didn't think that spring festival would be a problem because it doesn't actually start until after we're gone, but obviously folks are setting up in Seville early.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Twelve Days in Andalucia with Hiking

MsNomer,

1. Two full days each Granada, Seville and one Cordoba, but you can certainly find more to do and see with research. Do not omit significant cathedral in Granada as well as Seville. Ensure you book Alhambra tickets before your visit.

2. Bus networks are extensive in Andalucia. Local buses are hub (city/large town) based and reach almost everywhere, at some time of the day, but will possibly not be scheduled for you (the tourist).This may be all you need for bus, city to city - http://www.alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa

or perhaps http://www.movelia.es/

You may also want to consider train, (scenic journeys), but extra expense.

3. I cannot help with hiking, I do walk but not to the extent you are implying you will. I would say, Andalucia is bigger than many countries in Europe and only just smaller than Portugal. If you advise where your routes start and finish and where you will come from, I could probably help with public transport.

You appear to be csdcsmith on the LP forum? You should receive a response from a very knowledgeable walking guide on that forum.

Best wishes.

Edited: 16 January 2010, 09:10
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Twelve Days in Andalucia with Hiking

Thamks, WomBatt. Yes, I'm communicating now with Tony on LP. Looks like we're in good hands.

One thing he told me is that the train from Algiceras to Granada is not running for a while as they repair the tracks.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Twelve Days in Andalucia with Hiking

MsNomer,

Good.

Ask and you may recieve.

Best wishes.

5. Re: Twelve Days in Andalucia with Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2010, 05:18