We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help!

I am planning a 10 day trip in Andalusia and southern Portugal, but am having trouble mapping it out. The original plan put us in Jerez on a Sunday, and everything is closed. So I am thinking of renting the car for a longer time, and doubling back to Seville, because it seems like that is the best place to spend a Sunday...plus there is a bullfight there that night. Right now we are flexible and suggestions would really help!

We fly into Seville Sept.20, so we could drive straight to Cordoba for the first night.

From there drive to Tavira, Portugal for2nights.

Return to Seville for 2nights, and catch a bullfight.

Drive to Arcos...wanted to do Jerez for the horse show and sherry tasting , but not on a Sunday.

Drive to Ronda for one night.

Drive to Granada for 2 nights.

Drive to Madrid, stopping in Toledo on the way.

I can reroute, but these are the areas we wanted to see, along with Cadiz and Jerez. your thoughts?

Special Offer
Granada Day Trip from Seville with...
596 reviews
from US$145.50*
US$181.90
Alhambra, Generalife Gardens...
1,493 reviews
from US$74.50*
Morocco Day Trip from Malaga to...
371 reviews
from US$108.60*
Priority Access to Alhambra and...
143 reviews
from US$49.00*
Gliwice, Poland
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help!

I think visit in Cordoba should be last (not first) point in your itinerary. From Seville to Cordoba is around 150 km and you plan to get back this distance next day and drive another 180 km (from Seville) to Tavira.

My suggestion is

Sept 20 (Tue) - Seville (overnight)

Sept 21 (Wed) - 23 (Fri) - Portugal (Tavira - the longest route),

Sept 24 (Sat) - Cadiz, night in Jerez de la Frontera,

Sept 25 (Sun) - Seville (Cathedral, la Giralda, Alcazar, Parque de Maria Luisa and bullfight

Sept 26 (Mon) - Arcos de la Frontera, white villages, night in Ronda

Sept 27 (Tue) - Costa del Sol towns and night in Malaga

Sept 28 (Wed) - Nerja and night in Granada

Sept 29 (Thu) - Granada (overnight)

Sept 30 (Fri) - Cordoba and then road to Toledo and Madrid

I hope it helps - the longest route is from Tavira to Cadiz, but it is mostly on motorways.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help!

Hi - I've just come back from Algodonales - one of the Pueblos Blancos bewtween Arcos and Rondo. If you only have time for one small town, I reccommend Zahara de la Sierra - one of the hill top old towns and well worth a detour.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help!

I appreciate the advice! We have reworked the plans, and I think I've come up with a decent plan, taking into account your advice. See what you think...

Sept 20 & 21 - two nights in Seville

Sept 22 - 23 - Begin car rental and drive to Portugal - Tavira recommended but open for suggestions

Sept 24 (Sat) - Stop at either Jerez (sherry) or Cadiz , then spend the night at Arcos.

Sept 25 (Sun) - drive from Arcos to Ronda, stopping at Zahara and Grazelema. Spend the night in Ronda.

Sept 26 - 27 - Drive from Ronda to Granada, stopping at Antequera on the way. Spend two nights in Granada.

Sept 28 (Wed) - Drive from Granada to Cordoba.

Sept 29 (Thu) - Drive to Toledo, and end up in Madrid.

How does that sound?

Gliwice, Poland
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help!

Very nice plan CarolinaGirl :)

On your way to Cadiz you can drive to El Puerto de Santa Maria, park a car there and from there take a catamaran which runs across Bay of Cadiz and disembark in Cadiz port. It takes about 20 minutes and costs 2-2,5 EUR per person and you may save a bit of time avoiding searching for parking space in Cadiz.

El Puerto de Santa Maria is also famous for its bodegas (vineries) and has the highest population of Osborne bulls in Spain ;) It is third angle of so- called 'sherry triangle' (with Sanlúcar de Barrameda and Jerez de la Frontera).

Remember about earlier reservation of Alhambra tickets - read 'Buying Alhambra Tickets Online' section on the right panel in Granada subforum.

And don't forget about tapas - everywhere, anytime ;)

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help!

Thank you! I appreciate your suggestion. I was interested in the ferry to Cadiz, but haven't found that many people have recommended Cadiz as a place to visit. Is this something that you have done? It sounds interesting, especially if we can combine this with a visit to one of the bodegas. Do you have a favorite that may be easily accessable from the ferry, or would you suggest one of the ones in Jerez instead?

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help!

It sounds good. I wouldn't rent a car except from Arcos to Ronda and maybe on to Granada. I would not drive back to Madrid. I would take public transport. I would also take out Portugal and spend the extra two nights in Seville, maybe add one onto Cadiz or Malaga.

7. Re: Itinerary help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 22:19