We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
208 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

My husband and I are planning our 1st get away in a long time, with no kids either probably late April/early May 2012 or possibly Sept/Oct. I studied in Salamanca, Spain, long ago, but never made it to the south. We only have 1 wk because we have young kids and don't want to leave them too long. We own an RCI timeshare and have considered using that, but would prefer a B&B or Parador for charm and more real culture. I'm willing to split it up into 2 locations for lodging, but ideally would love to unpack our bags just once for the wk and do day trips. I know that Ronda is not to be missed and would also like to visit the Alhambra and Marbella/Malaga. Open to any ideas for a town to stay in and/or lodging as well! Gracias!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,567 posts
3,723 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

Malaga is the center of Andalusia and there are buses to Ronda and Granada.

If you want to see the Alhambra, read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,143 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

You mention Paradors - did you look at the Paradors in Andalucia on the Parador.es map? The one in Antequera is a modern one with outdoor swimming pool in Summer so may be suitable for visits to Granada, Malaga, Ronda, Marbella, Cordoba, Seville. But each trip does require quite a journey.

http://www.parador.es/en/parador-de-antequera

Maybe if staying in Antequera you could use the train one day - presume you have a rental car - so could drive over to the modern Santa Ana high speed railway station and do a quick trip to Cordoba or the south like Malaga.

This is Santa Ana station details.

adif.es/en_US/…informacion_000016.shtml

Of course if you pay full fare on these AVE fast trains you will pay quite a lot so perhaps plan your days out in advance and buy the cheaper Internet Tickets from 62 days ahead of travel.

By the way, there are two stations at Antequera and the Santa Ana one is several kms outside the town. It was built specifically for the high speed track with the intention to complete the line to Seville and Granada one day when the money is back !

But roads are good also in Andalucia and so the trip into the hills and Ronda is great with car. Maybe continue from Ronda down to the coast and Marbella before returning late using the faster Auto Pista roads ?

Outside Antequera is Hotel Convento de la Magdalena - looks relaxing.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 11:26
Gliwice, Poland
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

If you plan to hire a car - try holiday rental in Villanueva del Trabuco near Antequera:

http://www.bookforspain.com/

The owners (Barbara and Graham) are very nice and helpful persons and location is lovely

Edited: 13 August 2011, 21:56
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

I don´t understand what could be more central than Seville. Not only will it provide you with as long and interesting relaxing break as you want but there are excellent train connections to Cordoba, Cadiz, Jerez, Malaga, Donana, and Granada. I´m not clear why you say that Ronda is not to be missed since although it is nice it isn´t in the same league as these cities (plus Malaga) but if you must join the throng Seville is as good as anywhere to stay. Lots of places that side of Andalucia and the Atlantic Coast including Gibraltar, Arcos, Vejer, Tarifa, Baelo (all on a par with Ronda and not nearly as touristy) and there is still lots of Andalucia you won´t see (Huelva, Almeria)so pìck carefully!

Late April/early May is perfect for Seville too.

If you must go to Ronda stop off on the way to Marbella or Malaga. It shouldn´t take more than a couple of hours.

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

Knowing your dates, Cordoba is your best option for a hub.

Amazingly, for the same reason as Sevilla. ^^

May Festivals: The Crosses, the Patios... are you going to miss it?

;)

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

Seville

Sussex
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

Mmm...I think your original instinct to go for Ronda as a base is really good. It is almost equidistant from Seville and Granada and will provide a bit of a respite from city sightseeing. It is also well-positioned for Malaga and Cordoba.

As for "doing" Ronda in a couple of hours, that misunderstands what it has to offer. We have now visited it at least 20 times and are still discovering more to see and do. I would imagine as a first break without kids, you would also appreciate a bit of just "being" and it's a great place for people-watching, window-shopping, and just chilling out in spectacular surroundings. Hoep you have a great time wherever you choose to stay!

8. Re: Central "base" suggestions for day trips in Andalusia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 04:17