We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andalucia Itinerary

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Andalucia Itinerary

Hi.

we need some guidance/help in planning our trip.

We intend spending 6 days in Andalucia.

We will be departing from Madrid

and are cotemplating the following ITINERARY.

From Madrid to Sevilla (1night) then Cordoba (2 nights) and

then onto Grenada (also 2 nights) and returning to Madrid.

(not necessarily in that order)

How do we travel ? Bus or train or combination.

Also suggest 4 Star hotels.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Andalucia Itinerary

Sorry to pour cold water on your suggested itinerary but in my honest opinion you should pick a maximum of two destinations and see those two thoroughly. You are going to spend so much time traveling the only things you will see will be from bus or train windows. Sevilla requires a minimum of two days wandering around time. I am assuming that your visit to Granada is to include a visit to the Alhambra and if that is the case please check out all of the available information on TA particularly in respect of pre-purchasing Alhambra tickets online, this is essential.

I'm sorry, I can't help you as far as buses and trains are concerned because I always pick up a car when we arrive in España, we also rent villas so that our time is completely our own to come and go as we please.

It is unfortunate, but many people travel huge distances to visit specific places in España and they too often try to pile too much into a short space of time which I think can only lead to dissatisfaction and complete exhaustion.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 13 September 2012, 11:10
Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andalucia Itinerary

'How do we travel ? Bus or train or combination.'

You have answered your own question correctly.

Train www.renfe.com, Madrid to Seville

Train Seville to Cordoba

Train or Bus Cordoba to Granada, bus company www.alsa.es

Train or bus Granada to Madrid

Read the Top Question on RENFE.

And I too suggest this a fast paced and unbalanced itinerary.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andalucia Itinerary

Hello, you may want to travel via Train to and from Madrid but getting between seville, Cordoba and Granada you could opt to take the bus.

I used the bus to travel to these cities and it was fine. just make sure that if you do take the bus to get at the bus station in good time or buy the ticket in advance; there were long queues when i was there in the summer but maybe that might not be the case now.

i would agree with 'CampsieClyde'. given the time, i would pick two cities to tour because you do really need to spend some time to take in what the cities are offering otherwise you would be spending alot of time travelling and less time enjoying.

enjoy your trip

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andalucia Itinerary

Abbrey:

I would suggest you go to Seville and Granada only and split your time between them.

Take the AVE from Madrid to Seville. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online. A good hotel downtown is the Hotel Becquer.

Take the bus to Granada. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

A good hotel downtown is the Tryp Albayzin.

Return to Madrid by bus.

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Andalucia Itinerary

I also recommend you increase Sevilla by one day and cut down Cordoba but one day or cut it out altogether. Each of these three cities has a unique vibe and Cordoba is the most businesslike and lacking in life in my opinion. I spent one and a half days (one night) there and it was more then sufficient, but I spent 3-4 days in Sevilla and Granada each and could have easily extended either one by several more days. I took the bus through all the towns because it was more convenient in terms of schedule (I think bus service is more frequent). Andalusia is fantastic, especially the countryside if you ever get a chance! Have a fabulous trip!

Chicago
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Andalucia Itinerary

We just got back Monday. We flew in and out of Madrid and our itinerary was Toledo 1 night, Granada 2 nights, Toreomolinos, 1 night, Gilbraltar on way to Ronda 1 night and 2 nights Seville, 1 night Cordoba and 2 nights Madrid. Looking back I was surprised how much I liked Madrid. There is lots to do and it is a real city and not just set up for tourists. We had a room in Torreolominos a block from the beach and it was a nice break from the museum/church touring. Seville I was not too impressed with, but it might be because my feet were soaked most of the time I was there. I also was not that enamored with the Alhambra. I really liked the mosque in Cordoba and thought that Toledo was very scenic.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Andalucia Itinerary

Hi Chicagoan, I have to say I am astounded by your post. All of the places you visited are 'real cities'. In my opinion Torremolinos has gone from a fishing village to somewhere "set up for tourists". I have never before heard of anyone being "not that enamored with the Alhambra" but I guess there must be some others somewhere. Can I point out that you went from Torremolinos to Ronda via Gibraltar, Gibraltar could not by any stretch of the imagination be described as en route between these two places.

I sincerely hope you enjoyed your whirlwind tour of España and can I say that I am amazed at what you managed to pack in to 10 nights. I am the opposite type of holidaymaker to you, I have spent years getting to know Cádiz along with a little bit of the provinces of Sevilla, Granada and Málaga.

8. Re: Andalucia Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2013, 10:15