We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A-45 / A-92 road

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
53 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
A-45 / A-92 road

Planing car trip Malaga-Granada-Sevilla-Torrox end October. As first time driving Spain, appreciate advice on road quality and traffic specific on roads A45 / A92 (M), any major changes or smth. which might not be visible on GPS ? Could I trust google maps calculation in real driving conditions ( like 1 hour 40 min. AGP - Granada ) ? Any good places to eat just on the road ?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

Hi Ekspertas, although I have not driven on these two specific roads I have driven quite a number of miles in the Provinces of Cádiz, Málaga and Sevilla. So far I have found all 'A' class roads to be in good order and the motorway or autovia system to be superior to that in my home country (Scotland). I have also done a fair bit of mountain road driving in the area where the Provinces of Cádiz and Málaga meet and I would say that these too are quite safe so long as you treat them with respect, the scenery in the surrounding areas is quite magnificent. Roads which pass through areas of scenic beauty are usually well provided with parking lay-bys beside a 'mirador' (viewpoint) which can be enjoyed, photographed and used for a short break from driving.

Saludos. Lindsay

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

Sorry, I forgot to say. In addition to carrying a SatNav I also have a very good map of Andalucía which goes everywhere with me. I bought it online from a company based in London www.stanfords.co.uk I found their service to be very good.

Lindsay.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

Ekspertas:

Both the A-45 and A-92 are good highways which I have driven many times.

You can trust the Google Maps.

Between Malaga and Granada, there are good restaurants beside the highway at the town of Loja.

Between Granada and Seville, there is a good restaurant at Aguadulce.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

Roads are fine, although the A-92 highway isn't the best we have. It was built in a rush for the 1992 Universal Exposition in Seville. The land was not properly compacted at some bits and now the road needs to be repaired every few years. Since the road is so long, this usually means that there are always some segments under refurbishment. This is no big deal though.

Baku, Azerbaijan
Level Contributor
22 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

Is the A-92 a toll highway or is it free? If it is a toll, how much is it and do we have to carry exact change?

Thanks.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

You don't have to pay to use the A-92 road.

There aren't many toll roads in Andalucía. I actually know three: The AP-7 and AP-46 in Málaga province and the AP-4 in Cádiz and Seville provinces.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 08:09
Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

Hi Omar, a 'P' in a road number indicates that it is a toll road. From the verb "pagar" to pay.

Saludos. Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

Campsie,

I would say that the "P" stands for "peaje", which is toll in Spanish. Of course you have to pay no matter what the P stands for. :)

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

Mac that was the word my brain was searching for but I could not find it this morning. I could only come up with pago, pagas, paga, pagamos ............ and I got chucked out of Latin because I was rubbish at it.

Lindsay

Baku, Azerbaijan
Level Contributor
22 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A-45 / A-92 road

Thanks all, much appreciated!