We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A month in Andalusia

Albany, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
A month in Andalusia

Please critique my itinerary too! My wife and I are travelling to Andalusia soon. I will be getting to Cordoba on October 25th, staying four days then planning to rent a flat for a week, between Cordoba and the coast, possibly in Grazalema. From there i go to Sevilla for 4 or 5 days. My wife lands in Madrid on November 8th. We are trying to decide whether she should come to Sevilla directly, or whether we should meet somewhere between Madrid and Sevilla. I have been unable to determine whether the AVE makes stops before Cordoba. We will only have until the 11th to stay in Sevilla, as we have rented a small house in Alhama de Granada for a week. From there, we will train back to Madrid, stay a few days and then fly home on November 21st. Any day trip suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Mike

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,389 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A month in Andalusia

Lucky you. Are you renting a car or rely on public transport for Andalucia ? For your wife - does she want to see Seville ? Most Mad-Sev AVE trains only stop at Cordoba with a few also stopping at CIUDAD-REAL CENTRAL and PUERTOLLANO neither of which means much to me.

Albany, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A month in Andalusia

Thanks Cadiz-Lover. You cleared up one mystery about stops between Madrid and Cordoba. After I stay in Cordoba, I will hire a car and rent a flat in Grazalema, with plans to drive all around that area. After my wife arrives we will spend several days in Seville and then rent another car to drive to Alhama de Grananda and take day trips fro there. Suggestions for those trips would be most welcome. Mike

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,389 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A month in Andalusia

If you are in Grazalema during the week beginning 29th Oct then take a trip to Arcos and let me know - send me a PM with your email address if you want.

Of course your itinerary will be dependent upon your interests and amount of time you want to spend driving or maybe walking? Many lovely places to visit and you will find the visitor centre at Grazalema quite useful for help and maps and stuff. Grazalema is one of the wettest places in Spain however the showers or storms tend to be fairly short lasting - in fact the source of the River Guadalete is behind this town and it flows all the way past Arcos to spew out at El Puerto de Santa Maria in the Bay of Cadiz. I have said to myself that the next long walk would be from Grazalema to Montejaque which is around 12 miles or so and happened to read this blog and a video on the subject.

sarahwilson.com.au/2012/…

and this walk route

en.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=3197765

Montejaque will hold a sort of celebration marking the riddance of the French during the Napoleonic times called Battle of the Bridge " La Batalla de la Puente " during the weekend of 3/4 Nov and it is likely to be well attended and all good fun.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A month in Andalusia

Hi Mike, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have worked out roughly your dates and wheres and I think it looks like this:

Arrive 25 October - Cordoba - Depart 28 or 29 October

28 or 29 October - Grazalema or similar - Depart 3 or 4 November

3 or 4 November - Sevilla

8 November - your wife joins in on the holiday

11 November - leave Sevilla

11 November - arrive Alhama de Granada - depart 18 November

18 to 21 November - Madrid - return to New York State

As I said in my pm I can't comment on Cordoba as I have not been there. I have been in Grazalema and it is a very very pretty village however it is also small. I know I am biased but I think Olvera would be a better base with it being a bigger town with good road networks around (although I say bigger the population is about 8,000). From Olvera you could easily visit Grazalema, Ronda, Ubrique (surprise your wife with a lovely new handbag, if that is her thing) and if you felt like it Cádiz city is only two hours away. I rent a house from an agent in Olvera who has become a very good friend, her website is www.olverarentals.com - I always hire the house named Casa Alta but it has no heating and is not let out after the end of October. However Casa Arcos is just around the corner and I know it is a lovely property.

I would suggest that your wife meets you in Sevilla as it would be too much traveling to meet somewhere in the middle and then go to Sevilla. Better to enjoy Sevilla. If you go to Cádiz on your own and like it you could always take your wife there on one of the days you are based in Sevilla.

If you are planning on visiting the Alhambra whilst you are in Alhama de Granada make sure you read all the information on here about purchasing your tickets online.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Saludos. Lindsay

5. Re: A month in Andalusia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 19:19