We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

byron bay
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

Hope to be in Andalucia late April. We would like to stay in a small, interesting town/pueblo (rather than country house) which could be used as base for day/overnite trips to Sevilla. Cordoba, Granada . We are couple (60's) and I have been brushing up on Spanish so want to converse with locals. Would like to be near mountains/national parks as we enjoy walking, scenery. Beaches/coastline not so important. Ronda, Grazalema, Mijas have been popular amongst postings. If you have a suggestion for such a town would you also have suggestions for accommodation pls? Clean, comfortable, quiet on a modest budget. Muchas gracias Franz

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

Honestly I'd sggest a week in Sevilla so you can do daytrips to Cordoba, Jerez, etc.... A daytrip to Sevilla just doesn't do it justice. Then you could shift to a week in a smaller village in Eastern Andalucia for a visit to Granada.

byron bay
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

Thanks Cathy,

I had anr thought just after posting my enquiry along the lines you have suggested. Great minds ....!!! We could start in Sevilla for up to a week spend some time in a smaller town possibly on the 'White towns' circuit and plan to leave from Andalucia via Granada after couple days there. Would like some insights into what type of accommodation would best further my desire to engage with the locals. e'g' first thought is to stay in part of someone's house for a week e.g. like a BnB but which was suitably private as well. Any comments, places anyone would recommend? Gracias, Franz

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

Franz:

A beautiful town is Nerja. It has great views of the sea and mountains, plenty of good restaurants and sophisticated shopping.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

For your "a smaller town possibly on the 'White towns' circuit" between Seville and Granada have a look a the Sierra de Grazelema area. Lovely mountain landscape, very green most of the year with really nice villages. e.g Grazelema, Benamahoma and Montejaque all make great bases in real Spain. Ronda is the larger town option in this area.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

¡Hola Franz!

I spend four weeks a year in Olvera, see www.visitolvera.com a website written by an American friend. I rent a house from www.olverarentals.com which costs me €275 per week. I also hire a car so it makes it easy to get wherever I fancy. Ronda is 50 minutes away, Grazalema is 45 minutes drive, Setenil de las Bodegas (a lovely pueblo with the houses built into the caves) 20 minutes drive. If you fancy a day in Cádiz city that is two hours as is Málaga city or Sevilla although you can take the car up to Utrera and jump on the RENFE train which takes you into Santa Justa station. There are so many more places to visit, if your wife is a handbag freak don't let her near Ubrique or she will burst the bank!!!

When I am in Olvera for my October holiday I am planning a trip to Antequera which is just over an hour by car.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 20 January 2013, 20:56
byron bay
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

Hola Amigos, Thank you all para las buenas ideas. Benny, although we live close to beach in Aus. and hence have less need for them when O/S I'll look out for Nerja if passing that way. Dedinburgh, looks like Grazelema is a must as it gets many recommendations. And Lindsay, I'll definitely follow up on the Olvera websites. A todos...carinosos saludos, Franz

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

De nada. Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

Nothing is more central in Andalucía than Antequera which actually *is* the geographical centre of the region. It is also very convenient to get to Seville, Córdoba, Granada, Málaga, and most places you'll want to visit.

Ronda and surrounding areas are good located for a visit to Seville, but not to visit Granada which is a long way.

Have fun.

byron bay
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

Thank you MacPollo, I planned to visit Antequerra while in the area. Any recommendations for reasonably priced accommodation for 2 there? Franz

Spain
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: centrally located small Andalucian town for two week stay

Hola!

Have you considered Vejer?