We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 nights in Andalucia

Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
10 nights in Andalucia

We are flying into Malaga on Apr 1 for 10 nights. Our first time to Spain. We are renting a car. My boyfriend, myself and my 19 year old daughter. I think we want to rent a 2 bedroom flat, possibly 5 nights in two locations. Things we want to see

Alhambra

perhaps a day tour to Tangiers

Pueblo Blancos

Seville

maybe a beach day if not too chilly

Madrid (would this be too much?)

Haven't completed our itinerary yet and am open to any suggestions. We'd rather see an area well than run around trying to see everything.

I would like suggestions for locations to rent a flat that would be good central locations that you could make day trips from. Any specific flat suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

Hi, hope I can help a little. First, miss out Madrid, just far too much travelling. If you arrive in Málaga why not have two days on the coast before moving on to Granada, this will allow you time to recoup from your journey. Two nights in Granada would let you see the Alhambra and other sites.

The pueblos blancos, now I am on home territory. I spend four weeks a year in Olvera which is undoubtedly the King of the Pueblos Blancos. See www.visitolvera.com a website written by an American friend. I rent a village house from www.olverarentals.com From Olvera you could spend a couple of days visiting a number of pueblos, they are all very different. So a three night rental would be ideal. I would recommend Ronda as a must (50 minutes from Olvera by car), Grazalema and Zahara (all on the same route) and not far from Ronda. Setenil de las Bodegas with its lovely old houses built into the cliffs and that's just for starters.

You could then move on to Sevilla and spend your last three nights here. There is so much to see and you won't need the car, besides car parking is expensive in the city. So it is a car hire pick up in Málaga and drop off in Sevilla, you could then get the train back to Málaga in time for your flight, if Málaga is your departure airport.

Remember to book your Alhambra tickets well in advance online. RENFE (train) tickets can also be booked online. Remember April 1st is Easter Monday.

Any more questions just ask.

Saludos. Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

theadams:

Torremolinos has many apartments to rent. From this base you could see Malaga, Ronda, Mijas, Nerja, Cordoba and Granada.

The other base you can have is Seville. From there you can explore Cadiz, Jerez, Carmona.

London, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

i would also agree with previous poster to skip out on Madrid. It is a lot of traveling and you dont want to spend a good bit of your holiday in a car! If you arrive in Malaga then you could use it as a base to see what BennyMalaga has suggested. It should only take you about an hour and a half to reach granada an hour to reach ronda, 20 minutes to get to Mijas, about 45 minutes to get Nerja. I would look at apartments in Mijas Costa as its a lovely area and there is a nice beach. You can look on star la cala website for rentals in mijas costa as they have a nice selection of beach front apartments.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

When I booked Alhambra tickets earlier this month, you could not book any further than 3 months in advance.

Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

Wow, I really appreciate all the help. That is why I love tripadvisor :) I like the idea of having two base camps and not moving too much. We are coming from Canada and spending some time in London first and will be travelling with fairly large suitcases.

We don't mind driving an hour or so to get somewhere so having Malaga area and Sevilla as our two bases sounds good.

Torremolinos, Mijas, Malaga are all fairly close so not sure where would be the best place to stay? Overlooking the beach would be awesome but don't want a party atmosphere.

We want to see flamenco for sure, is Malaga or Sevilla better for that?

Would love to do a day of moderate hiking and see some countryside, I've read about Alpujarras, but too far?

There is so much to do, it is hard to limit ourselves.

Should we give up the idea of Tangiers? I know that would be a really long day.

Again, thanks for all the help it is much appreciated.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

If you just want a taste of Flamenco there is a free show in the town square wednesday lunchtime 12 until 13.00.

The tangier trip seems to be a little rushed for me. Most people I have spoken to say the guide only ever wants to take you to places that pay the guide for taking you.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

I'd definately use Sevilla as your western base. I'd recommend at least 5 nights and a definately daytrip to Cordoba. Tou'd probably have time for at least one other daytrip - my favorites would be Cadiz, Jerez, Carmona,Arcos and Osuna.

Unless you really want to rush and just hit the highlights of Andalucia I also would not trynto add in Madrid especially if you fly home from Malaga.

I'd also skp on a daytrip to Tangiers. It's not the best way to spend a day and this city is likened to Tijuana if you know what I mean. If you have an interest in Morocco I'd do as another trip when you really have time to explore outside of a border town.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

Folow Cathy's advice and also skip Madrid this time to focus and Andalucia and forget about Tangier.

Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

following maitland's suggestion I looked on star la cala website and found a nice holiday rental in the Vistas Del mar complex in Torrenueva. It looks beautiful. Has anyone stayed here? or booked through star la cala?

thanks.

Now if there are any recommendations for a place in Seville that would be great!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 nights in Andalucia

I've had very good experiences renting from sevilla5.com (for Sevilla).

They have a wide variety of properties in different areas of the city and have always been very professional.