We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andalucia mini tour

Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Andalucia mini tour

Hi

I'm planning to go to Andalucia in six weeks time, I've chosen places I'd like to visit but don't think my choices are realistic in the timeframe.

I'll be flying on a Wednesday evening, get to Malaga near midnight so starting on the Thursday I'll have 8-9 days depending when I fly back.

I plan to stay in Malaga a couple of nights then Granada for a few nights (I've visited Granada before so mostly using it as a base for day trips) then on to final base location of Seville.

The places on my initial list to visit were:

- Malaga

- Ronda

- Cordoba

- Las Alpujarras

- Ubeda

- Santiponce

- Seville

- Cadiz

That's 8 locations for possibly 8 days and I'd imagine I'd need at least 2 whole days in Seville so something has to give.

If I had to take a couple off my list I'm thinking Cadiz and Ubeda. Is this a wise choice?

So any advice re how long to spend in Seville would be appreciated and which places you'd not visit due to time constraints.

In terms of getting to these places is it easier/more cost effective to go by train or bus?

Thanks for any help

Mike

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Andalucia mini tour

Hi Mike

Ronda is a very pretty town and, in my opinion, worth seeing. It is a nice scenic drive from Málaga or alternatively there is a minimal train service, ie Málaga to Ronda departs at 10.05 and arrives at 11.52. The journey back to Málaga departs at 16.55 arriving at 18.47 see RENFE information for any alteration to train times and ticket prices http://www.renfe.com

If you want to see Sevilla properly I would say three nights is the minimum you should aim for. I would not take a hire car into Sevilla as hotel parking is quite expensive. Córdoba can be done as a day trip from Sevilla. Again there is a train option to Sevilla from Málaga and from Sevilla to Córdoba.

Cádiz I love. We spend two weeks each summer south of Cádiz city and last year the city hosted the Tall Ships. This was a lovely day out in what is a beautiful city. I also spend four weeks of the year in Olvera which is one of the pueblos blancos in the north east corner of Cádiz Province.

The other places on your list I have not been to so cannot make comment.

Saludos. Lindsay

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andalucia mini tour

I think your challenge is the limited time frame. If you want to spend 2 nights in Malaga and 2 in Granada this only leaves 4-5 nights. I'd personally recommend 4 nights for Sevilla if you plan to visit Cordoba one of these days as a daytrip. So you'll have little time for anything else in this timeframe. Malaga to Granada by bus. Granada to SEvilla by bus or train. Sevilla daytrip to Cordoba by train. Return Sevilla to Malaga by train. Book your train tickets in advance for the discounted fares.

If you have 5 nights in Sevilla you could add another daytrip and visit Cadiz or Ronda. Or add a night to Malaga and visit Ronda as a daytrip. Or do a 1-nighter and visit Ronda.

But if you only have 8 nights I think you'll be hard pressed to base in Malaga, Sevilla and Granada and do a daytrip to Cordoba - at a moderate pace.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,298 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andalucia mini tour

Mike:

I would remove Ubeda and Las Alpujarras because you do not have enough time and transportation to these two places is not too easy.

For train travel, read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

You can do Santiponce as a day trip from Seville.

Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Andalucia mini tour

Thanks for all the help so far, using it I've come up with an initial plan, again please critique it and offer any useful advice.

Weds 17th: fly to Malaga late evening, taxi to hotel

Thurs: day in Malaga

Fri: check out of hotel but leave bag in luggage room, early bus to Ronda, spend 5+ hours here then bus back to Malaga, pick up bag then coach to Granada.

Sat: organised coach tour of Las Alpujarras (I've been wanting to do this since I was unable to last time in Granada so ideally included)

Sun: either day trip to Ubeda or a town on the coast for a more relaxing day. Back to Granada by 6pm for walking/photo taking tour of Albaicin and Sacromonte caves.

Monday: travel to Seville, check into hotel then start to explore Seville or go to Santiponce.

Tuesday: Seville

Weds: Seville

Thurs: day trip Cordoba

Friday: Seville or Cadiz

Saturday: bus/train to Malaga, flight home

If you think Monday to Thursday is enough for Seville including day trip to Cordoba then I may fly back on Friday (purely thinking of costs)

In all cities I'll either do open top bus tours or waking tours so I make sure to see all important things.

Again, any advice on my proposed schedule or advice in general greatly appreciated.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andalucia mini tour

So if I understand this correctly it's 2 nights Malaga, 3 nights Granada and 5 nights Sevilla.

The timing is good for the base cities but I think you'll find the Daytrips may be ambitious. For example Ubeda It's 2.5 hours one way from Granada to Ubeda. The daytrip to Ronda then back to Malaga and on to Granada is a long travel day. I'd check the bus/train schedules on all of your options to see if the trips are feasible given the frequency and time. You have 3 days in a row of daytrips that will mean alot of time on the road - this may work for you but it's not my style. Cordoba and Cadiz are definately doable from Sevilla.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Andalucia mini tour

I'm with you Cathy, I thought Málaga to Ronda return then on to Granada not just ambitious but positively exhausting. If you have five nights in Sevilla I would spend three days exploring the city and do either one or two side trips, I would suggest Cádiz and Córdoba or if you want something closer than Córdoba try Carmona.

Saludos. Lindsay

Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Andalucia mini tour

I know it's ambitious, maybe too much but I want to visit Ronda but am generally short on time. I will have to check the bus times, how long will it take on bus/coach to Ronda from Malaga, around 2 hours? Then same again to Granada? I thought about doing to Ronda on Friday then getting to Granada as I plan to go to Las Alpujarras in Saturday which is from Granada, hotel pick up.

Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Andalucia mini tour

Does anyone know if there are luggage lockers at bus/train stations in Ronda? If so maybe better to take luggage to Ronda on day trip, store for the day then travel direct from Ronda to Granada rather than a needless extra 2 hour journey back to Malaga?

9. Re: Andalucia mini tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 04:16