We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

We are planning on 10 nights arriving in Madrid and departing from Malaga. So many great things to see so we are struggling with our itinerary.

Please give me your input on the following itinerary.

Arrive from Amsterdam in Madrid - 3 nights - Royal Palace, walking tour, Prada Museum - day trip to Toledo

Granada - 2 nights - Alahambra and other sites

Seville - 2 nights -Cathedral, Flamenco and Alcazar

NerjaéMarabella - 2 nights - to relax

Malaga - 1 night - depart to Amsterdam.

I was planning on using the train for transportation wherever possible. I know it is a lot -should I drop Grenada and add more time in Seville or am I missing something else.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

Due to your limited time, leave out Granada.

Suggestion.

Train Madrid to Seville (Seville three nights) www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html and madrid to Toledo

Bus Seville to Ronda (for one night) and Ronda to Marbella ( for three nights) www.losamarillos.es

Bus Marbella to Malaga airport www.avanzabus.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.madrid-tourist-guide.com

www.timeout.com/madrid

www.go-toledo.com

www.andalucia.com/cities/sevilla.htm

www.flamencomuseum.com

www.turismonderonda.com

www.marbellaexclusive.com

Edited: 13 March 2013, 02:02
Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

I think you're trying to squeeze too much into 10 days.

Are you arriving from Canada to Madrid w/a connection in Amsterdam? Or will you have spent time in Amsterdam prior to the Spain portion of your trip? If it's the former you're going to be jetlagged for at least a day. 3 days in Madrid w/a daytrip to Toledo is pretty busy considering the first day you'll really only have a 1/2 day after arriving from Amsterdam - not even considering if you could be jetlagged.

2 days in Sevilla is about 2 days too little.

If it were my first trip and I had 10 days I'd probably skip Nerja. I'd probably spend 3 nights in Madrid then take the AVE to Sevilla and stop en route for a daytrip to Cordoba. Spend 4 nights in Sevilla and then take the bus or train to Granada for 2 nights. I personally think Granada is a must see for Andalucia. Then take the bus to Malaga for your final night.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,244 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

Ben:

Granada is a must see. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online. The Alhambra Palace is the No. 1 tourist attraction in Spain and gets 3 million visitors a year.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

Thank you for your advice. We are spending 5 nights in Holland and then 10 nights in Spain. We will be arriving around lunch time in Madrid. I am leaning towards dropping the beach days but I thought it would be a nice way to wind down before heading home. Is Marbella/Nerja nothing but a beach area? Is the water warm/swimmable in mid July? Or, do you think we should just chill with an extra night in Seville or Granada. Our flight out of Malaga leaves at 10:40am so I think it makes the most sense to stay somewhere in Malaga for the last night? Thanks again for your help.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

Marbella and Nerja are 2 completely different resorts some 2 hours apart.

Much as I love Nerja on this trip I would miss out the beach resorts and add a night in Seville and another in Malaga (where you can swim - sea fine in July - from beaches just 10 minutes walk from the old city centre).

Edited: 13 March 2013, 11:32
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

Hi Campolady, thanks for the input - would a day trip to Marabella from Malaga make sense or do you think we will get the same "feel" by sticking close to Malaga. Are they good sea swimming areas? Thanks again to you and all who have responded. I really appreciate your help.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

A day trip to Marbella doesn't make any sense. Stay in Malaga, there are good beaches close to the city centre.

8. Re: Itinerary Help - Madrid to Malaga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:17