We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

This summer I will be going on a roadtrip through Andalucia. I have been before, but am considering where to go this time.I would like to see some new places this time. If anyone has been to any of these places could you please tell me what some of the highlights were for you (attractions, sights, food, must sees, etc). If you have been to more than one of these places I would like to know which you preferred and why. Here is a list of the towns/cities I am considering (the starred ones I have been to in the past):

Cordoba*

Sevilla*

Jerez

Cadiz

Marbella

Salobrena

Ronda

Malaga*

Granada*

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

I have been to all of them recently except for Salobrena, was there back in the 80s.I would visit ALL of them, and for sure Cadiz, Ronda and Salobrena, all very fun places.

I would look at TripAdvisor Forum for all the cities you have not been too and decide if it is a place you would like to visit. With a little bit of reading l think you could come up with a great trip. Do a little reading and if you still need help, we will alwas be here.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,293 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

And the white villages www.andalucia.com/villages/home.htm

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,245 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

Alex:

I have been to all. I would recommend Jerez, Marbella and Ronda. Read the top questions in the forum of each city for what to see.

Marbella is the most upscale resort in Spain. Hotels are expensive but it is worth taking a look here. Puerto Banus is something to see.

Ronda is unforgettable with marvelous views of the gorge and the countryside.

In Jerez you can see the horse show.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,730 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

As before, I have visited or stayed in all the towns mentioned and note that you plan your road trip in summer months. This is when those inlanders flock to the seaside and you can find a big buzz along the coast. If this is what you are happy with then please do visit the Costa de la Luz from Gibraltar to Cadiz and onwards from Cadiz to the border with Portugal. There are some really nice places especially Cadiz itself which does come alive in July and August when it becomes so popular with Spaniards seeking the cooler weather.

Of course you could tend to stick to the inland places like Ronda and the "pueblos blancos" hilly territory from say Ronda to Arcos de la Frontera and make some trips inland. Perfectly good idea and you may see fewer tourists who naturally want the coast for holidays at this time. Jerez is inland from the Bay of Cadiz and makes quite a good base for sampling the Sherry drinks from this region as you can tour Sanlucar and El Puerto de Santa Maria. The Cadiz Province has plenty to see and do with good choices of simple "ventas" or more upscale places to eat and Jerez has a fair share of them. I know Arcos area very well and so maybe biased but the Costa del Sol especially Marbella and Puerto Banus does not lift my spirits too much. I do prefer the more country and scenic areas to the Costas except when sitting on a beach under an umbrella in middle of high summer !

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

Cádiz city is lovely, Ronda is gorgeous but I avoid it during July and August when it is very busy with tourist coach parties coming up from the Costa del Sol for the day. Hotter yes, but I love the pueblos blancos, particularly Olvera see www.visitolvera.com From here I do nice little journeys and have explored Setenil de las Bodegas, Zahara, Grazalema and Júzcar. Also Ubrique the home of quality leather goods which make beautiful gifts at Christmas time. I hope to be able to spend my customary month in Cádiz during July (two weeks in Chiclana de la Frontera and two weeks in Olvera) but have got all my bookings in place for October. This October I am going to do a day trip to Antequera. I have also visited Carmona and Medina Sidonia which are both pretty towns.

There are so many places to visit it will take my many many holidays before I have been to all the places on my list.

Saludos. Lindsay

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

Thanks for all your advice so far. I thought of another question that maybe some of you have some input on. Which of these locations would you say are suitable for a shorter day trip and which would you stay a few days in?

L H
Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

If you are going to Ronda, Marbella and Jerez, there is a beautiful white village called Genalguacil, a bit inland, it deserves a one day trip credencerentals.com/costa_del_sol/genalguacil . Also as CampsieClyde Setenil is worthy of a visit.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

Bump

9. Re: Andalucia - Road trip - Where to stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 04:15