We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granada, Ronda and where?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Granada, Ronda and where?

Hi

We are planning on going on our honeymoon to Andalucia next June for 9-10 nights.

We need to fly in & out of Malaga & will be renting a car for the whole trip. We know that we ant 4 nights in Granada, and 2-3 in Ronda, but are undecided about where else?

I have been looking at Nerja, El Chorro, La Herradura, Tarifa & Marbella? Looking for somewhere by the sea or in the countryside with a nice pool. Any suggestions are welcome though!

I dont want to drive too far out the way, although it depends if its worth it. Also, we dont like overly built up or high rise areas, more traditional an authentic.

Thanks in advance

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Granada, Ronda and where?

How about Mijas www.misjasguide.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

www.spain.info

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Granada, Ronda and where?

You could come down to the beautiful city of Cádiz on the Costa de la Luz. The old city itself is beautiful, additionally there are two city beaches to enjoy. Cádiz to Málaga Airport is a drive of about three hours.

We holiday in Chiclana de la Frontera which is about 25 minutes drive south of Cádiz where the beach is Playa de la Barrosa, beautiful clean water and an 8 km stretch of lovely sand. The vacation hotels in the area are mostly in Novo Sancti Petri however villas and apartments with pools can be found in both Novo Sancti Petri and Sancti Petri. The developments along the beach have been restricted to low rise and without the density found on the Costa del Sol.

Chiclana itself is a large but traditional Andalucían town, well served by the autovía which makes sightseeing up and down the coast very easy.

Ronda is a beautiful base but it is unlikely you would find enough to see and do for 2-3 days. However as a base you could explore some of the amazing pueblos blancos in the area. Grazalema, Zahara and Setenil de las Bodegas are all worth a visit. My personal favour is Olvera, I spend four weeks each year here and never tire of the views, the town or its people. Take a look at www.visitolvera.com a website written by an American friend. Also worth looking at is www.andalucia.com where you will get information on any number of towns and villages.

Saludos. Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Granada, Ronda and where?

machine:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine, and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has 14 museums (among them Glass and Crystal Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum, Automobile Museum, and the two Picasso Museums), historic churches (four founded by the Catholic Kings), and monuments that include two castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro). The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. Shopping is wonderful and the city is very safe. The Malaga Park is very large semi-tropical park and beside it is a new park called the Palmeral de las Sorpresas at the port. Muelle Uno is a new shopping/restaurant complex at the port. There are about 1000 buildings from the 19th century downtown, one of the largest and best conserved collections in Spain.

The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Good hotels:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio, Hotel Molina Lario

3-star: Hotel Don Curro

For Granada, read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and book early.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 04:05
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Granada, Ronda and where?

< Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities >

The OP is flying into Malaga airport.

< One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. >

The OP will already be in Andalucía.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 10:12
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Granada, Ronda and where?

bookmark

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Granada, Ronda and where?

Thanks for the advice. I do love the look of Cadiz, but I'm worried about oo much driving?

Malaga is sounding tempting as we love art galleries, and its by the sea/ near the airport. But it looks quite built up?

I just want a few days near the sea or with a pool in the country, just seems so hard to pick when you haven't been.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Granada, Ronda and where?

Ok, so the more I've looked. I'm thinking Cadiz or Malaga. Realistcally, is the drive from Ronda to Cadiz then back to Malaga too long? We'd be spending 2-3 nights around Cadiz of we went for this option.

If we go to malaga, where is a good base for 3 nights?

The other option is 2-3 nights in Cadiz then 1 night in Malaga before we fly back?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks again.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Granada, Ronda and where?

Why not two nights in Cádiz followed by two nights in Málaga that way you get the best of everything. I love the Province of Cádiz and find the Costa del Sol too built up for my liking but everyone is different. You can always come back and see more of the places you like best.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 11 August 2013, 11:14
9. Re: Granada, Ronda and where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:16