We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andalucia trip 9 nights

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Andalucia trip 9 nights

Hi, My wife and I decided to explore Andalucia this September. Our question is, how can we use our time most wisely? We would arrive to Malaga late night. Spend 2 nights there, 3 nights in Algeciras, 1 night in Seville, 1 night in Granada and 2 nights in Alicante. We will hire a car so transportation wont be a problem. Any suggestions where to go, what to see? Any beach ideas? I heard from my father in law, that beaches around costa brava are not that popular...is that right? which are the best beaches in the southern part? many thanks!!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andalucia trip 9 nights

I meant around costa del sol sry

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,959 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andalucia trip 9 nights

You do have some nice beaches along the Costa del Sol on the Mediterranean however I prefer the beaches facing the Atlantic along the Cost de la Luz, so called. These beaches are washed by tides and very sandy. I note that you are spending 3 days in Algeciras so already near the Atlantic beaches and maybe look at travelling along the coast in direction Cadiz city. You can see for example nice town and beach at Conil de la Frontera or maybe go all the way to see Cadiz city itself. Here you find a long popular beach called Playa Victoria on the newer part of this city.

Your proposed stay in Seville and Granada are really very short and if possible I would leave Alicante until another time and concentrate on Malaga +beaches+Seville+Granada and maybe go to Cordoba between Seville and Malaga.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andalucia trip 9 nights

Thanks so much for your answer!

Unfortunately our flight will depart from Alicante, so we dont really have a choice.

We thought we could do followings: 1. day: Malaga sightseeing and beach, 2. day Ronda and Marbella, 3. day Morocco day trip to Ceuta, Tetouan, Tangier, 4. day: Gibraltar and Tarife, 5. day: Cadiz and Seville, 5.day: Seville and Cordoba, 6. day: Granada, 7.day: Alicante, 8. day: Alicante

Does this sound like a good plan to anyone?

Does anyone know what is there to do in or around Alicante?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Andalucia trip 9 nights

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I really think your proposed itinerary at #3 is way too packed. If you are arriving in Alicante are you planning on heading straight to Málaga? Driving the journey will take you four and a half hours after which you plan to see the city and the beach. According to www.renfe.com the train journey is longer. Once in Málaga, personally I would forget the looksee at Marbella I would head straight for Ronda and have a lovely day there. From Ronda you want to go to Morocco, again with such a short timescale I would delete this trip, you are backtracking. From Ronda I would go on to Sevilla, three days is the minimum in which you can do truly see the city, there is simply so much to see and do. A side trip from Sevilla could be either Córdoba or Cádiz but again both cities need a day+ to appreciate their delights. From Sevilla you could head over to Granada and from there back to Alicante. As for Gib, unless you want inveigled in the hold ups at the border crossing I would give it a miss too.

To sum up, less places = see more.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 20 August 2013, 09:39
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andalucia trip 9 nights

Thanks for your suggestions!

I am arriving in Malaga on the 11th of September late night, but since I am not coming back to the UK but will fly to Hungary the best deal I could find was the flight from Alicante (on the 20th of September, late night again). Spending a full day in Ronda instead of visiting Marbella might be a good idea. I have planned to visit Morocco the next day as a full day excursion with the hotel in Algeciras.

I hope there wont be any queues middle of next month anyomre at the Gib border. Otherwise is it a good idea to leave the car in spain and just go on foot to Gib, since its not that big?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Andalucia trip 9 nights

Anytime we go over to Gib we leave the car in La Linea de la Conceptión, there is parking (coin meters, don't think they can be awfully expensive or my husband would have had a good moan) on the main boulevard which runs parallel with the sea. I have also parked in a large sandy area where car park attendants direct you to a space although I have not been charged here. Wear comfy shoes and don't forget your passport.

Saludos. Lindsay

7. Re: Andalucia trip 9 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:17