We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base of operations for seeing Andalusia?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Base of operations for seeing Andalusia?

My husband and I will be visiting Andalusia for a week (or more) starting in mid October. We prefer to use public transit than have to drive a car. So, I was thinking of selecting Cordoba as the place to get an apartment. From there we could do train travel to overnight one or two nights each in Seville and then in Granada.

We are retired, so we can be leisurely and take our time. (Time lost to train travel is not a disaster for us.) Any advice on Cordoba as a base? (We will have already had a week in Madrid, with side trips, and a week in Barcelona.)

I also welcome any other "must see" advice for Andalusia, especially if we don't have to rent a car.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,327 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base of operations for seeing Andalusia?

Many people prefer to spend time in Seville over Cordoba because there are more things to do and see plus you have easy connections to Cordoba by bus or train. In fact if you do not fill your day in Cordoba then return on another day. Having a base in Seville also allows perhaps a visit south to Cadiz Province which has many nice places such as Jerez famous for its sherry and of course Cadiz city itself. I would also recommend that you actually plan to stay in Granada as well because a day trip either from Cordoba or Seville does not do the city justice and you can plan to enjoy at least two nights in Granada with buyng your Alhambra tickets in advance. Worth it.

Some like to explore the town of Ronda which is reached from Seville by bus or perhaps by train from Cordoba. You can proceed to Ronda to Granada by train.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Jerez
Jerez
213 Reviews
Ronda, Spain
Granada
Granada
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base of operations for seeing Andalusia?

I agree - use Sevilla as a base to visit Cordoba and potentially other daytrips depending on how much time you have in total. But I'd spend 2-3 nights in Granada. It's too far (3 hours each way) to do as a daytrip from Sevilla and really does warrant a couple of days. If you have 7 nights I'd probably spend 5 in Sevilla and 2 in Granada. You'd likely have time for another daytrip from Sevilla - many options based on your intererests.

Mentioned in this post
Cordoba
Cordoba
Granada
Granada
Hotel Sevilla
Hotel Sevilla
395 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base of operations for seeing Andalusia?

Thanks. This is very helpful.

4. Re: Base of operations for seeing Andalusia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 06:17