We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opportunistic crime

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Opportunistic crime

Hi! My husband, son and I are flying to Malaga, hiring a car and then travelling to Almunecar for a week and then Teba for the second week. We have visited Spain many times before and are savvy travellers, but as we intend to visit Seville and Granada and explore a lot of the small towns (ie, be on the road more than on previous holidays) I wanted to ask about any particular opportunistic crime. I read in an article that was 2 years old about various tricks that thieves will use in car parks or to get you to stop on the roadside. Is this still as big a problem? Looking at some crime stats it seems that Spanish cities have lower crime index than those in other European countries. Would people say that in general this is true? We are thinking about living in Spain and I'm also wondering about non-violent crime in general ie house break ins etc

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Opportunistic crime

Hi Susan

I think there is opportunistic crime wherever you go and by that I don't just mean Spain. Take the same precautions as you would at home, do not leave luggage or valuables where they can be seen, lock the car doors, etc. I spend nearly seven weeks each year in Spain, just over two at Chiclana de la Frontera, the remainder in Olvera which is not far from Teba (I have been in Teba). I always have a car which I leave in the car park three hills and a flat street from the house because it is near impossible to park at the door in the narrow street, my hire car has never been targetted. My son and I go about visiting wherever takes our fancy and that includes Cádiz and Sevilla and again I have never felt to be at any risk. At the end of January this year I decided to visit Olvera alone to attend a friend's birthday party, I walked home (a 10 minute walk) from the venue on my own at 2.00 am and the few people I met wished me a cheery buenos noche.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Lindsay

Edited: 26 May 2014, 22:13
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,639 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opportunistic crime

Susan:

I agree with Lindsay about opportunistic crime, that one can prevent it by not showing anything in the car if you leave your car to park. I have not heard of people trying to stop cars on the road in Andalusia and I think that Andalusia is very safe.

There are house break-ins in the Costa del Sol because many home owners leave their vacation houses vacant in the off-season. For that reason I think that apartment buildings are safer than houses when one will not live in either for some time. Many foreigners like to live far away from people and go to the most remote places with no neighbors. I think this is a mistake, because neighbors can always help.

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opportunistic crime

Me and my mrs fancy living in spain. We always said if we did we would live in a town or village, and not one of the new build purpose built holiday home resorts. I say that because I always think that with the economy teetering on the verge of collapse it might be wiser to be living where most in general everyone else lives.

But thats just my own personal thoughts.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,639 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opportunistic crime

familyof6Uk:

The recent news is that the real estate market has picked up and sales are rising, showing that the recession may be ending. I think that real estate prices have reached their bottom and will go up now.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opportunistic crime

Thanks everyone. We are vigilant regarding locking up, nothing on display in car etc. Familyof6UK- agree completely regarding purpose built ex-pat complexes-not our cup of tea at all. We would rent to start with-probably a townhouse in a small town-not sure exactly where yet though. Our son is 19 and going to Uni starting this year-so will just be the 2 of us. We just returned to UK from living in US for 5 years where we had a nice acre sized plot and we really miss that, but the thing we miseed whilst living there was not being able to walk anywhere , ie in a town or on public footpaths and tracks etc. We love to get out and walk since we got back. I think our ideal would be a house on the outskirts of a small town with some land. Would like to be able to walk,even if it's a mile or so to the town. Will have to wait and see. Lyndsay-nice to hear that you feel safe being out and about on your own too. Looking forward to our first holiday in almost 6 years.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opportunistic crime

Just back from Almunecar and Teba. Had a fabulous time in both locations and 2 weeks was really not long enough. Beautiful scenery and some great days out,especially from Teba. The mixture of the

Rio Guadalhorce and the lakes, the Granite peaks and the olive groves and arable land was stunning.Went to Park Ardales and swam in the lake. Visited El Chorro and saw "Camino del Rey" being repaired which unfortunately meant we couldn't walk round it! Can't believe there's a railway station here. Next time we'll get the train from Pizarra to Bobadilla. Loved Antequera. Also explored the towns of the Sierra de las nieves- El Burgo, Yunquera and and Alozaina. Both Almunecar and Teba were easy drives from the airport (we dropped our son off there at the end of our first week) Except for the outskirts of Malaga the roads were quiet. Forgot how much I love Spain.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Opportunistic crime

Hi Susan

Glad you had a great time. Next time go a little west and visit Olvera, you won't be disappointed. We head out a fortnight tomorrow, 16 days in Chiclana de la Frontera for me, my husband, son and daughter. Hubby and daughter then come home and Niall and I head up to Olvera for a second fortnight (sheer bliss).

Saludos. Lindsay

8. Re: Opportunistic crime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:15