We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Hi, Thanks for reading.

My wife and I are due to arrive in Almeria 7th October late night (Sunday) for 10 nights and will be staying at Best Mojacar Hotel. We are both 29 and basically want to just relax, nice meals, a few dirnks, sight seeing, enjoying the culture, sampling traditional cuisine etc etc. Some questions pleae:

TRAVEL TO HOTEL AND CAR HIRE

I think cheapest would be to hire a car from Almeria Airport and drive to hotel in Mojacar. Keep Car for 10 days, so can drive around during the day. WOULD YOU AGREE ? Hire of a medium size car (Ford Focus, 1.6l - works out to £185 for 10 days. This includes normal insurance as well as the extra one for wheel damage etc etc.

*** Is it cheaper to just hire a car from the airport or should I pre book from here.

*** What is the driving journey like at night – and how long does it take?

2) HOTEL BEST MOJACAR

Reviews of hotel (food / accommodation beach) seem good but there is no info on location. Shops, supermarkets, restaurants, bars – what is around in walking distance ?

3) MOJACAR

What restaurants, activities and sights would you recommend?

4) AROUND MOJACAR

As I will have the car – what do you recommend to go see outside Mojacar. Restaurants, sea food, activities, cultrural sights etc etc.? I am ok driving upto 2 hours each way.

5) OCTOBER WEATHER

We are staying ther from 7th to 7th October – What is weather like and what clothing do you recommend.

6) OTHER

Laundrette – any around available?

Clothes / Fashion Shopping – Anywhere within 2 hrs driving ?

7) TIPS / SUGGESTIONS

I will be brushing up on my Spanish – any other suggestions ?

Stockholm
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

You should rent your car from GB, that is usually the cheapest way.

Best Mojacar Hotel looks nice. I guess it´s situated in "Mojacar Playa", 1 km fron the old town.

You should go to Vera and visit the excellent restaurant Terraza Carmona. Great food and wine! In Mojacar Playa there is a nice italian place down by the beach. The rest of the places are more or less the same, paella and fish. I think there are some nice places in the old town as well.

You should also go to the nice beaches south of San José (dont remember the name of it) and Playa de los Muertos (get a map!). Beautiful beaches and very nice water. Remember to bring your own food and drinks ´cause there is no bars at all.

A trip to Almeria (capital) is also great. Nice shopping downtown and great view of the Med sea from the Alcazaba.

If you play golf Mojacar is one of the greatest places in Europe with two extraordinary golf courses in Arizona style (Valle del Este and Desert Spring).

The weather in October is hot during the day (25-30 degrees) and around 18 during the night (like a great summer in Sweden). I think October is actually the best time of the year to spend in the Almeria area. Empty beaches and great weather.

You can find laundrettes almost everywhere, and it is cheap as hell.

If you are looking for shopping Al Campo in Almeria is the place or the big mall in Roquetas del Mar. I dont remember the name.

You have a nice holiday to look forward to.

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

thanks v much - really appreciate your comments

ps: what is night time driving like from almeria airport to mojacar ?

Stockholm
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Almeria Airport - Mojacar is not a long drive, maybe an hour.

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Thanks V much - My wife is more concerned about it being safe to drive - as in - Is it a safe road - Lit up road, directions etc ?

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

It is motorway most of the way - an excellent road.

Come off at Exit 520 then take first turning off roundabout following signs for Turre and Mojacar. This is a much smaller road and is rather winding until you reach Mojacar Pueblo - about 20 minutes ; haven't done it in the dark but doubt there is any lighting apart from when you pass through Turre.

When you reach the Mojacar Pueblo T Junction turn left onto a main, well lit road that takes you straight down to the Mojacar Playa coast road. Turn right if your hotel is on Mojacar Playa main strip or left for such hotels as Marina Playa and Best Oasis.

For more detailed directions get a route from www.viamichelin.com

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Cool - you are online - thanks v much

I arrive at 9pm - so was wondering if it was safe to do so at night -

Looks like it should be.

thanks for your quick reply , il check the site out.

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Hi casaianda,

Looks like you are from the area - please see my original post - would be really grateful for your comments

thanks

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Hi GoingToGoa

We actually live 4 hours drive from Mojacar but have stayed there several times and spent a few days there last week.

We made the mistake of booking the Marina Playa this time - on arrival found it to be part of a complex of hotels in an isolated location mid-way between Mojacar Playa and Garrucha. No local bars or shops within easy walking distance. There is a Best Hotel adjoining the Marina Playa but this is the Best Oasis so I don't think it will be the same place you are staying.

We have always enjoyed our stays at Mojacar but, this time, found it looking rather run down in many areas - perhaps as we were late in the season. Don't think we will be going back in a hurry. However, if you just want to chill out on the beach and visit Brit bars in an evening you will be fine; the strip has certainly extended since our last stay there 3 years ago. There are some excellent Spanish restaurants but these tend to be hidden off the main strip - worth seeking out.

Prices tended to be a bit dearer than we are used to down here - especially bar prices. For shopping I would suggest you have a day in Almeria city - an interesting place to visit. Shopping in Mojacar Playa is typical tourist standard; there are some better shops in Mojacar Pueblo but these charge tourist prices.

A lovely day trip is the Cabo de Gata Natural Park - the small resort of San Jose is lovely and well worth the drive.

Weather should be very pleasant for you during the day but it will go cooler at night so take a light jacket for going out after dark.

One word of warning, Mojacar is well known for its high count of Mosquitoes. If you are prone to being bitten suggest you take a good spray on repellant plus plug in repellant for overnight protection.

Hope this helps a bit.

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Thanks for your reply.

Best Mojacar and Best Oasis Tropical are next to each other. So I am staying in that area.... oops...

But good news, is I can change it. Long story.... they messed up my booking and I can get my accomodation money back. So, can you recommend anywhere else to stay, hotel or location.

We are flying into Almeria - so flexible.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

The hotel location may be fine for you - there is a half hourly bus service into Mojacar Playa that only costs one Euro and there are a few bars/restaurants about 20 minutes walk away; it was awkward for us as my husband has a severe Heart condition so cannot walk far. Going on the good reviews the hotel has you may well be changing for worse not better if you look elsewhere.

We used to always stay at the Hotel Virgen del Mar halfway along the strip - only 2 star and simply furnished but spotlessly clean and lovely staff with plenty of eateies locally including an excellent Chinese restaurant next door and good Spanish bar/restaurant below. Fancied a bit of pampering this time as we have had a very busy Summer, and had friends with us, which is why we changed venues to go to a supposedly 4 star hotel.

There is a 4 star hotel on the seafront at San Jose - can't remember the name at the moment - a lovely spot but 10 days would probably be too long.

The only other major resort on the Costa Almeria is Roquetas de Mar - again very Brit orientated. Haven't been here so can't make any suggestions.

Should have added previously that a drive east of Mojacar is interesting - the town of Garucha is a working Spanish fishing port with a great market every Friday and Spanish prices plus superb (not cheap!) Fish Restaurants. Continue on the the small resort of Villa Ricos - charming - then a dramatic drive as far as San Juan de Terreros. Well worth doing.

Get answers to your questions about Almeria
Recent Conversations