We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Which Almeria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Hi, Thanks for reading.

My wife and I are due to arrive in Almeria 7th October late night (Sunday) for 10 nights and will be staying at Best Mojacar Hotel. We are both 29 and basically want to just relax, nice meals, a few dirnks, sight seeing, enjoying the culture, sampling traditional cuisine etc etc. Some questions pleae:

TRAVEL TO HOTEL AND CAR HIRE

I think cheapest would be to hire a car from Almeria Airport and drive to hotel in Mojacar. Keep Car for 10 days, so can drive around during the day. WOULD YOU AGREE ? Hire of a medium size car (Ford Focus, 1.6l - works out to £185 for 10 days. This includes normal insurance as well as the extra one for wheel damage etc etc.

*** Is it cheaper to just hire a car from the airport or should I pre book from here.

*** What is the driving journey like at night – and how long does it take?

2) HOTEL BEST MOJACAR

Reviews of hotel (food / accommodation beach) seem good but there is no info on location. Shops, supermarkets, restaurants, bars – what is around in walking distance ?

3) MOJACAR

What restaurants, activities and sights would you recommend?

4) AROUND MOJACAR

As I will have the car – what do you recommend to go see outside Mojacar. Restaurants, sea food, activities, cultrural sights etc etc.? I am ok driving upto 2 hours each way.

5) OCTOBER WEATHER

We are staying ther from 7th to 7th October – What is weather like and what clothing do you recommend.

6) OTHER

Laundrette – any around available?

Clothes / Fashion Shopping – Anywhere within 2 hrs driving ?

7) TIPS / SUGGESTIONS

I will be brushing up on my Spanish – any other suggestions ?

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Thanks so much for your replys and suggestions - i really appreciate it. I will stick to the Best Mojacar for now.

We are looking forward to visiting Mojacar and all the surrounding areas - I will check out the suggestions you made - they sound amazing.

The Hotel Virgen del Mar looks good - iv just checked the website.

thanks once again.

manchester
Level Contributor
33 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Hi - just a few thoughts in answer to some of your queries,

Carjet at the airport was very cheap and we got a brand new Clio - book in advance on website.

Driving from Almeria is a doddle - empty motorway at night almost all the way to Mojacar.

If you want somewhere really special to go (even if your not religious at all) go to Saliente -through ALbox about 1hr 45 from Mojacar. The best view in all of Spain from the op of the mountains, a bit hairy but worth it. Its a monastery to the virgin of Saliente, there's even a good cafe/restaurant . We heard about it by accident but it was the highlight of the hols and we got some fabulous photos. (Look at Google earth!)

Albox market Thursdays is huge - everything and anything on sale, park on the dry riverbed!

Loads of good bars/restaurants in Mojacar - Chinese especially good, Garrucha too has a long promenade full of good places to eat an lovely beach Huercal Overa is a nice own with a new square with some great restaurants.

Hope you enjoy yourselves.

chris

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

cool - thanks Chris - we are there for 10 days - so i think we will check it out - really appreicate your comments

ta

P

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Just to add to the other great recommendations.

There is a Lavanderia (launderette) further down the playa from you. If you head towards Carboneras, keep going down the Paseo del Mediterraneo, past the roundabout at the Centro Comercial you will come to an El Arbol supermercado on your right hand side Over on the beach side there is a row of shops & cafes & the lavanderia is around there (can't remember the exact position).

Clothes shopping, check out Murcia. They have a huge El Corte Ingles & it is great for shopping . Be aware, the smaller shops shut for siesta, so hours are 10 - 14.00 & 17.00 - 21/22.00. It's just over 1 hours drive away & easy to get into & out of, just follow the parking signs as you drive in. A great city to spend a day in.

Other suggestions for days out:

If you have kids with you, check out Mini Hollywood at Tabernas. It's where the spaghetti westerns were filmed & they have re-enactments every day - http://www.hvsl.es/lei/hojas/leio0002.htm

Sorbas is on the way to Tabernas & a pleasant town. The Cuevas de Sorbas are worth a visit.

Cartagena is a pleasant town & easily accesible now they have the new toll autovia - it's a pleasure to drive & takes just over an hour, good shopping there too.

Cuevas de Almanzora is a pretty town & worth a visit.

Good markets at Garrucha on Friday & Vera on Saturday.

I'd better stop there or you won't have any time left for relaxing! Have fun.

www.mojacar.es

www.mojacar.co.uk

Stockholm
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

Roquetas del Mar is probably not what you are looking for. At least not if you are 29 years old...

Mojacar, Vera and the area around San José are the most beautiful places of Costa Almeria.

The capital of Almeria is also a great place if you want to enjoy the Spanish night life combined with nice days on the beach.

bishops stortford
Level Contributor
233 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

If you want an alternative bit of entertainment visit the fish auction in Garrucha port,boats start returning & unloading around 4pm every weekday.

Sevilla
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

DEFINATELY pre book a car. Its very expensive from the airport.

I always use www.doyouspain.com for dirt cheap hassle free car hire. They have excellent prices and great service.

:-)

18. Re: Help - info on Mojacar & Almeria needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 13:19