We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Which Almeria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral, England
Level Contributor
688 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Can anyone help me with a few basics? We are looking at staying in Almeria, (possibly at the Protur Roquetas Hotel and Spa), but I cannot find details of distances or travel possibilities within the area.

I am interested in the distance from the beach hotels to the town of Almeria and if there are bus services if it is not walkable. We would also want car hire for a week, but a review mentioned that the hotel charged for parking, so I am interested if parking is difficult and what sort of charges are generally made by hotels to park a hire car. We would like to drive into the mountains and countryside as well as possibly spending a night in a hotel in or near Granada so we could see the Alhambra at leisure rather than be tripped.

Also, is the drive to the Granada easier from Almeria, or would Nerja be a better base to travel from?

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
966 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Just to clarify The Hotel you refer to is in the city of Roquetas de Mar, whilst it is in Almeria Province it is not in Almeria City, which is about 25 kms away. Almeria city is the provincial capital of Almeria Province, a bit like New York City in New York State.

You will love Roquetas De Mar.

There is a very good bus service between Roquetas and Almeria which runs every half an hour and takes approximately 25 mins. see alsa.es/en/…

On street parking is free and relatively safe directly outside the hotel, and is not too difficult.

Although Nerja is 30 mins closer to Granada It is easier to get to Granada from Roquetas that from Nerja. There are direct motorway links from Roquetas to Almeria city and then to Granada but the roads are more difficult from Nerja . Use http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ to plan journeys. Parking in Granada is a nightmare however and whole areas of the city are inaccessible by car.

Yes a car would be great to see more of Almeria / Andalucía , but I would use the good rail links from Almeria to Granada as it may be easier. (No direct rail link to Nerja) see http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/ for tickets and timetables.

Also you MUST see this site for more info about the area around Roquetas and what to see.

http://www.unique-almeria.com

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
688 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Thank you. The train link looked good as it is in English, but once I had entered some detail it went to a spanish page which I did not understand (perseverance with a spanish dictionary may help, but we are not spanish speakers). Will it be difficult to travel around if we do not learn spanish, or are there a fair number of people in Almeria province and Andalucia who speak English. We have a tendency to stick to French speaking countries (eg North Africa) if travelling any distance as my husband is very fluent in French so we are able to converse with the locals rather than just ask our way around.

Also, I am now thinking that it would be better to stay near Almeria, rather than stay somewhere that is purely a tourist area as that is not our style, large all inclusives are not really our style either. We have often got a reasonably priced half board as it makes things easier and then gone off for a few days by train or hire car without having to take all our baggage with us.

The other thought is to go fly/drive. We would be travelling off peak and for this break we are looking at the first half or May 2014 as it is our ruby wedding then. Our initial thoughts were to spend a couple of nights in a Parador for our anniversary, but Granada is extremely expensive, so would not be the one. Again we are thinking of language difficulties and now that you mention how busy Granada is, I am thinking of the traffic when driving on the 'wrong' side of the road - especially when we may not understand signs. We have hired cars in The Algarve, Majorca, Tenerrife (where we atayed in the Parador) as well as Tunisia in years gone past, but the roads have been fairly quiet and the Spanish places were tourist centres, so there were no Language problems. We drove into Palma at one stage and got out nippily though as we did not like the busy dual carriagway road!

Another thought is to stay in Nerja and go north on the quieter roads, staying say ten miles or so outside Granada and taking public transport in for one or two day trips.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 11:37
Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
966 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Almeria city, and most of Almeria province, is real Spain, there will be less English speakers there that in Nerja, which is an English dominated resort and ex-pat enclave. Personally I prefer Almeria, but each to his own.

Nerja is nice and less like the more 'brash' costa del sol resorts. Communication to Nerja is via the motorway from Malaga. Spanish roads, even the motorways, are very quiet and easy to drive on, for long stretches you may not see another vehicle. The road signage is under European legislation so is basically the same as in UK. The trouble starts in town and city centres as parking and congestion become issues. Granada is an ancient City and has narrow streets and little parking. They have congestion measures that ban traffic from even entering certain areas unless they have a local permit.

Drive the greater area by all means, the white villages up in the sierras are worth a tour, but I agree that you should not drive into Granada if not practiced 'on the wrong side of the road'.

Direct communications via Malaga / Almeria are fine but from Nerja are not so good. I would however suggest that most Hotels do organised bus tours to Granada, which would include transport and entry tickets into the main venues. Unless you like huge, huge lines awaiting a ticket booth, at Spains biggest national tourist attractions, you will want tickets bought in advance, you can do it on-line yourself if you want.

It actually helps to have it organised for you as there are several different parts to the Alhambra / Alcazaba which need separate tickets for entry and entry is restricted to Am and PM tickets. You may not like 'tripping' but it is going to be the best way especially as you do not speak the language.

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
688 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Thank you very much for that reply.

We decided to go elsewhere for the Ruby Weddding and have just booked it now the Thomson summer 2014

hols have come on sale. Both Almeria and Nerja look very worthwhile and we will definatley go in the not too distant future. I will print out and keep your replies as they are so very useful and informative.

Thank you again,

Barbara

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
966 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Your welcome enjoy wherever you go and congratulations for the Ruby.

Vic.

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Hi Vic, can u tell me if there is a bus service to felix from almeria airport please?

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
966 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

There is no direct bus route. You can get the bus 20 from airport to Almeria bus / train station hub. Then bus M999 through Aguadulce and then get off at El Parador village, as the bus turns off the main N340 and heads towards Roquetas de Mar. From El Parador village you can get bus M320 up the hill to Enix and then terminus at Felix. See the alsa website for the timetables etc. http://www.ctal.es/horarios.html#LINEASAFGHIJ

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Hi Vic, thank u for the information, how much would it cost for a taxi from almeria bus station to felix please.

AlsoHow many kilometres is it? Thank u.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
966 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

From Almeria to Felix is about 26 km. A simple rule of thumb for taxis here is 1km = €1. Taxi fare is approx. €26. I checked this on another website and came up with €25.70 so it works out about right.

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport and car hire in Almeria

Hi Vic, I have been in touch with a lady who has a holiday villa just outside felix, but she tells me there is no bus service?? So I'm a bit confused now. Would u know the name of the church in felix pease? Is there only 1?

Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Almeria