We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga to Cordoba

Woodhall Spa
Level Contributor
27 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Malaga to Cordoba

Hi

We are a group of 8 hoping to travel from Malaga airport to Cordoba - to spend a few days in Cordoba.

Could anyone advise of the best means of travel from Malaga Airport - and any recommendations for Cordoba

Many thanks

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

It is always difficult to know what is wanted when 'best' is not qualified.

If you want public transport you have two choices or a combination.

Cheapest is likely express bus, airport to Malaga city, then www.alsa.es bus Malaga to Cordoba.

The alternative is train, airport to Malaga city, Malaga to Cordoba - www.renfe.com and read the guide on RENFE in Top Questions, on the right, if discounted advance ticket purchase appeals.

'any recommendations for Cordoba' - is this to do with accommodation or bars and restaurants or sites to see or something else?

Edited: 05 January 2014, 11:41
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,220 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

graham:

Take the Cercanias train from Malaga Airport to the Maria Zambrano Station. From this station you can take the train to Cordoba.

For train travel read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Manchester...
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

Hello,

We are arriving in Malaga on the morning of Sunday 4th May and want to head to Cordoba for 2 days, then on to Seville for 2 days and then down to Cadiz for 2 days before heading back to Malaga for the final 3 days.

I've seen on the Renfe website that there is a train 'Season pass' available, but it's difficult to understand the rest of the information and even get a price as it some of it is in Spanish and unfortunately I don't understand most of it.

Would it be more cost effective to buy in advance - cheaper? than on the day?

Would a Season Pass be better than individual journey tickets

Advice please :)

Annmarie

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,220 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

Annmarie:

The Renfe pass is not a good deal, in my opinion. It is very difficult to use and you have to do the math yourself to see if it is more economical than buying individual tickets.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

Annmarie C,

'Season Pass' - what season pass? Has something passed me by? Please provide a link to this which I am not aware of.

There are RENFE passes for numbers of journeys within a one month period, e.g. the lowest being four journeys - is this what you mean? - renfe.com/EN/…index.html

As advised by Benny you will need to do a maths. comparison to find out whether value to you but probably very unlikely as you appear to have a fixed itinerary and can purchase in advance for discounted point to point tickets.

Manchester...
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

Thanks for the info, Benny.

Last night I also saw a ticket - Tarjeta Plus 10 Pass. Giving you 10 trips within an 8 day period.

Again I couldn't see how to find out the price unless I went through the booking process ...so no idea what the cost would be!

Do you reckon it's the same as the Season Pass...... not really economical?

Does it work in Spain the same as in the UK e.g. the nearer to the date of travel the more expensive the tickets are?

Is it OK to book on the day or a couple of days before travel or better to book online in advance?

Many thanks

Annmarie

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

I am not sure what the Spanish for "gobbledygook" is but often strange things occur on Renfe web site. The trains are ok though. I had a quick look at Tarjeta Plus 10 and it seems to refer to AVANT trains and an 8days use after first trip using AVANT trains. I did a quick dummy booking using Spanish page and it gave me €118.80 for trip starting at Malaga to Cordoba. I did not go further but assume that this cost will include up to 9 other journeys after Cordoba using the pass.

Now looking at the walk up approx price for these AVANT routes it gives

Malaga-Cordoba : €27

Cordoba-Seville: €20

Seville - Cadiz : AVANT does not run on this line and best bet is to use Media Distancia train costing about €16

Seville- Malaga : €42.90

So for your tour and knowing that you cannot use this pass and get full value then stick with buying tickets as you go or better still if you can use RENFE then book up seats some time before your trip. Don't think any of these AVANT fares are discounted so you have option of waiting until you are in Spain to get tickets. Sometimes it can be quicker to buy online than go to a person at a desk or even use the ticket machines o if you want to try then no harm done.

Cadiz to Malaga could be by bus going via Algeciras although many people still prefer to train changing at Seville. The Media Distancia train is cheapest and you can change at Dos Hermanas if you wish but sometimes timings are not great but a good buffet exists ! Brief encounters/ .

Manchester...
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

Brilliant information, thank you so much!

Looking forward to our trip :)

Manchester...
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

Sorry, seem to have lost the link!

It was for a multi journey pas, but I think my questions have been answered now.

Thank you so much

Annmarie

Woodhall Spa
Level Contributor
27 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaga to Cordoba

Many thanks!