We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

Spain
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

We are planning a trip from Granada to the Costa de la Luz and would really appreciate any advice from Tripadvisor members who can recommend places to visit and stay overnight along the coast, from Huelva down to Algeciras. Areas which are not too touristy!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

Sanlucar de Barrameda is at the mouth of the Guadalquivir and is very Spanish. If you happen to be their during the El Rocio pilgrimage time, (few days before 16th May 2005) http://www.rocio.com/ you will see plenty of folk crossing the river on their way to El Rocio.

uk & espana
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

If you e-mail me I can give you a web-link of a site that has tourist information and also over 300 properties for rent in Costa de la Luz.

There are some wonderful areas and I am sure that no matter where you visit you will fall in love with Costa de la Luz.

hey
stuttgart
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

I could recommend a couple of nights in Tarifa and the beaches of Bolonia and then the area around Ca��os de Meca.. Hurricane Hotel or Punta Sur in Tarifa, Casa de Califa in Vejer, Madreselva in Ca��os....

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

You should plan a visit to Donana national park (can be done from Sanlucar or from near El Rocio) We visited Columbus sites at Palos and La Rabida monastery near Huelva the morning before Donana trip. Go inland too and look at Arcos de la Frontera and Medina Sidonia; Jerez is also interesting , tho' bigger. El Puerto de Santa Maria is attractive as are the smaller towns further down the coast and Tarifa is a must incl Bolonia Roman site.

My suggestion for route from Granada would be via Antequera and Ronda. This means you do Algeciras/Tarifa first.

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

In addition to the places already mentioned by the other members, try Conil de la Frontera on the coast about halfway between Cadiz and Tarifa. Its a lovely smallish town with a great stretch of beach and an old town. There is enough tourism (mainly Spainsh) to provide shops, sights and places to eat and drink etc but without being spoilt. We actually stayed at a campsite just outside the town which was fabulous so I do not know any hotels here. If you do stay here, venture out of town a bit to find some lovely bays separated by the cliffs. It's almost like having your own private beach!

uk
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

After a lot of research I think Im going to be visiting the costa de la luz with my husband and inlaws in may or October this year.

It will be the first time to this area so I need some help!

We would like a hotel, near a beach perhaps but not too far a walk away from bars and eateries etc, but, most importantly, not too touristy as we are all learning spanish and would like to experience a little of the real Spain, having a little culture perhaps?

but not too rural as a week with my inlaws will send my husband mad and he's going to need somewhere to have a beer!

Also, Ive tried to find flights from UK but without much luck, doea anyone have any info they would be willing to share?

Thank you x

london
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

There are Ryanair flights from London Stanstead to Jerez daily.

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help need for planning a trip to the Costa de la Luz!

We are going in May flying into Faro then hiring a car and driving to Huelva. Does anyone know what the drive is like as we land at 7pm at night? We are also unsure whether to stay in Portugal near the border from Portugal and Spain for a couple of days but we do not know where to stay if anyone has any ideas?

Thank you

Oh also you can fly to Faro from Leeds/Bradford now

Get answers to your questions about Costa de la Luz