We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibilties for spending time in Costa de la Luz

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
Possibilties for spending time in Costa de la Luz

Hi All,

We are planning on spending about 5 or 6 days around the Costa de la luz focusing mostly on Cadiz, Jerez de la Frontera, and Vejer de la Frontera in early June and trying to figure out how we should plan this part of our trip (we would be arriving via train from Seville and relying on bus or taxi for transportation around Costa de la Luz). We are looking forward to hearing great music, trying sherry and wine and local food, and relaxing on beaches.

We're mostly trying to determine whether it is best to spend the majority of our time staying in one of those three locations as a base and taking day trips to the other two locations and beaches or if we should stay a couple of days in each place, or some mixture of staying a while in more than one place with day trips.

What do you think is an ideal plan and the ratio of days you think we should spend in each location?

Thanks much!

Sights and Bikes Day Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Bike Tours, Private Tours
Taxis Hurtado
Taxis & Shuttles
Cadiz Taxi Tours
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Taxi Solucions
Taxis & Shuttles
Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibilties for spending time in Costa de la Luz

Sorry I missed your post yesterday, I only saw it when I was looking for something earlier to do with new driving regs. My choice would be to be based in Cadiz, it is a lovely ancient city with easy walking. The city has three beaches, oddles of culture and architecture and some very nice foodie places. Train is easy enough to Jerez and I think bus to Vejer although I am surprised at this being your choice of white town to visit. From Cadiz I would be inclined to visit Medina Sidonia by bus instead of Vejer.

In Jerez there is also the Real Escuela (Royal Spanish Riding School), take a look at www.realescuela.org

Saludos. Lindsay

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibilties for spending time in Costa de la Luz

I agree with Lindsay about Medina Sidonia, it is one of my favorite towns. Its not a large town and all of the locals are very friendly. Not a whole lot to do there, but each time l go l will hit all the shops, and have a few drinks in the plaza. I have a old friend there but have not seen him since 1999 l think. Hoping to run into him in a couple of weeks. You will not find a lot of tourists in town which l love about the town.

Cadiz would be a great place to have a home port. You have old and new town, l alwas stay in old Town Cadiz.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibilties for spending time in Costa de la Luz

Lindsay & Hubie,

Thank you for sharing your perspectives. I hadn't thought to visit Medina Sidonia, but I'm now starting to look into it. I had originally planned on visiting Vejer because I had read about a cooking class there and it seemed near some nice beaches -- is it easy to access the beaches further south from Cadiz with public transportation (o.e. Zahara de los Atunes, Bolonia, la Barosa? Should I look into renting a car?

If we stay mostly in Cadiz is it also worth visiting Sanlucar de Barrameda?

Thank you!

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibilties for spending time in Costa de la Luz

We stay in Chiclana de la Frontera at the beginning of July each summer, we have rented near and further from the beach and this year we are renting at Complejo Atlantico which is only a stones throw from Playa La Barrosa. My husband enjoys a walk along the beach with coffee stops most mornings.

My son and I visited Sanlucar de Barrameda last October for a beach day from Olvera. It is a beautiful beach too but the section that we were at did not have the number of cafes and restaurants nearby that La Barrosa has.

Between Chiclana and Olvera I spend nearly seven weeks a year in Cadiz. Each year I somehow manage to add a day here or there but always have a car. Having a car suits me as I am not a beach person and like to gad about.

Lindsay

5. Re: Possibilties for spending time in Costa de la Luz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:17