We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teaching in San Fernando, Cadiz

Which Cadiz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sebes, Romania
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
teaching in San Fernando, Cadiz

Hi!!

I was offered a contract as an EFL teacher, that paid around 800euros a month, 17 hours a week and 12 euros per hour. Will this be enough to survive with paying rent monthly and electricity and heat and water and cooking and transportation??

Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,090 posts
3,467 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: teaching in San Fernando, Cadiz

Your biggest expense will be the apartment rent. I am afraid that I do not know how much apartments rent for in San Fernando. You should ask the person who offered you the contract how much rents are in San Fernando.

In Malaga, rents are from 500 to 800 euros a month.

If you cook your own food, you can get by on about 70 euros a week. Electricity may cost about 60 euros a month. Water costs about 12 euros a month.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: teaching in San Fernando, Cadiz

Tryed to help you out, but all l found was rentals for the travelers. I would think that it would be cheaper than Malaga, it is a bedroom community to Cadiz. Have you been to San Fernando? If you love the beach, you will love it. Not sure in the over all picture, you will make tons of money, but you will get to travel to many places, and see many things. I was stationed close to San Fernando back in the 60s, and loved it, l go back as offen as l can. Go for it, you will love it. Good luck and have fun Can we say Adventure

Sanlucar de...
Level Contributor
196 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: teaching in San Fernando, Cadiz

Hi

I'm in the position of just accommodating a few EFL teachers here in Sanlucar and they are looking at 350 Euros per month rent and bills (water/gas/electric) can be between 40-80 per month. You are probably working for the Junta de Andalucia who bring over many EFL each year for the local schools.

I think rents in San Fernbando might be more as it has a big univeristy population, but you are the ideal tennant, here from Sep to May and the landlord gets the property back for summer and the higher rents.

Look in websites Loquo, mundoanuncios, habitamos for available properties.

Hope this helps

Ian

Sebes, Romania
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: teaching in San Fernando, Cadiz

Thank you all so much!!! You've all given me precious advice!I'll let you know what happens...

All the best to you!!

N

Alcala de los...
Level Contributor
53 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: teaching in San Fernando, Cadiz

San Fernando is not a tourist town (though it is a great place nonetheless) and you should easily be able to find a one-bedroomed flat for 150 euros. It is in the Bahia de Cadiz transport network, easy to get to Cadiz and the Costa de la Luz. Food is very cheap here and you will only need heating from December to February. Go for it!

Edited: 06 July 2010, 17:06
Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: teaching in San Fernando, Cadiz

My wife was just asking what you decided on, so found the post l guess no news is good news. l guess we will know soon enough, hope to hear soon. Hubie

7. Re: teaching in San Fernando, Cadiz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:17