We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

least crowded beaches

upstate New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
least crowded beaches

Hello,

I will be in Sevilla this summer doing a language immersion program. My 15 year-old daughter will be with me, studying, as well. We plan to spend 7-10 days traveling during the first 1 1/2 weeks of August. (I know it will be hot!). Before we head up to Madrid and Barcelona, I would like to spend two nights on the coast with her. I am NOT interested in Costa del Sol scene! I would like to know if it would be possible to spend a weekend by the sea/ocean that is a little less touristy but that we could access by public transportation? Many thanks!

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: least crowded beaches

We holiday in Chiclana de la Frontera which is a little south of Cádiz city where there is an 8 km stretch of beautiful beach. When we were there in July, yes there there were folks about but you could have your pick of places to sit. August will be busier as this is when the majority of Spaniards holiday.

However, I think perhaps you should consider Cádiz itself where you will find two lovely beaches. La Playa de la Caleta is close to the Barrio de la Viña. It is the beach of the Old City, situated between two castles, San Sebastian and Santa Catalina. Then there is La Playa de la Victoria, in the newer part of Cádiz, this beach is visited by tourists and natives of Cádiz. There is also La Playa de Santa María del Mar or Playita de las Mujeres which is smaller, situated between La Playa de Victoria and La Playa de la Caleta.

Saludos. Lindsay

upstate New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: least crowded beaches

Thank you so much for your reply! My ideal beach is one where you can walk out far enough to get away from the majority of crowds and where there is natural beauty in addition to the sea. I'm wondering which, if any, of the beaches that you mentioned above would come closest to that? And are all of them accessible by public transport? Gracias!

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
934 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: least crowded beaches

My 2 cents thrown in. Old town Cadiz is great. It's not really a typical tourist trap kinda town. Just a friendly town. LaCaleta is a beach mostly for the locals. San Sebastian Castle with a new museum, and Carolina castle next door are quite interesting. A great walking town cause it's only about a mile and half by a mile and a half. Tons of great food too. Check out my reviews here on TA. You can see Cadiz in the James Bond film Die Another Day. LaCaleta beach & San Sebastian figure prominently doubling for Cuba.

Personally I love Cadiz.

Have a great trip.

Cheers------ Ken

Edited: 27 October 2013, 03:49
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: least crowded beaches

Finger:

I recommend the Playa de la Victoria.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: least crowded beaches

Due to the need for public transport I would stick with Cádiz and probably La Caleta. As Ken says, Cádiz is a wonderful town and the fact that there is beach is a bonus. You could also investigate the ferry across the bay to El Puerto de Santa Maria. The return journey will be lovely with the gorgeous Cádiz skyline in front of you.

I only returned from Olvera (one of the inland pueblos blancos) on Tuesday where I spend four weeks a year while there we had an afternoon in Sevilla which I love. Eventually got to La Plaza de España and had lunch in La Raza. All in all a lovely day. Another day we went to Sanlúcar de Barrameda which is also a coastal town, north of Cádiz. It was niceish but did not compare with the other choices. I was only there for the afternoon so am perhaps being a little harsh on the town.

For natural you would really need to go to the likes of Tarifa where some of the best surfing in the world can be found, however, this would be much more difficult in terms of public transport.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 27 October 2013, 08:14
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,619 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: least crowded beaches

See my reply in the Cadiz Forum to same question.

The Cortadura end of Cadiz is the start of some quieter beaches with sand dunes behind. This runs the length of the "isthmus" where the road and railway line approaches Cadiz from San Fernando. A picture and location is here

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/81951510

I have seen people leave the train (a CERCANIAS local train) at Cordadura heading for the beach. More details of this local commuter train here with map. It runs between Cadiz and Jerez.

renfe.com/EN/…index.html

You could use this train from Cadiz or Jerez or anywhere in between !

Or reach Cortadura end of Cadiz using bus or shank's pony then continue down the beach. There's an upmarket beach type restaurant along here called Ventorillo el Chato if you want to lose a few pounds.

ventorrilloelchato.com/restaurante_eng.asp

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
934 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: least crowded beaches

For the FingerLakesGal, or anybody else reading this thread-----

The public transportation in Spain is impressive, but I must mention driving in this region is really good too.

I drove about 600 miles in July hitting Cadiz, Malaga, Tarifa, Ronda, and Marbella. Some stops in other towns too. Got a nice rental from AutoEurope at the Cadiz rail station. The highways great. Small streets take getting used too. The traffic laws and signs are easy to learn online. I am humorously limited in my Spanish vocabulary ------ So if I can do it...........

After New York/New Jersey driving, Spain was easy.

Got some old fashioned maps (friends had GPS trouble) planned Mapquest routes ahead of time, and saw some gorgeous countryside and coastline. Will never forget this trip. Would love to return.

Cheers! ------- Ken

Edited: 28 October 2013, 19:33
Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
934 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: least crowded beaches

Lindsay ----- 4 weeks a year in this region. Wow ----I'm soooo jealous. lol. I wish we could get as much vacation time as people in Europe do. I'm sadly stuck with 2 weeks a year.

Cheers! ----- Ken

9. Re: least crowded beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 05:22