We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Redhill, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Im travelling around Spain in September and I'm wondering whether Cadiz is worth visiting? Any recommendations on must see cities in Spain would be much appreciated. Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,238 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Yes Cadiz is well worth seeing and using as a base to explore. Today I went from Malaga to El Puerto de Santa Maria using an online car sharing scheme which pairs drivers with passengers and offers a good way to get around especially those longer journeys which are easier by car and not so good by train or bus. The scheme is BlaBla and worth looking up.

September is still very warm in Cadiz Province and many of the crowds of August have left so it is a great month if you like to be near the coast. More opportunities for accommodation. Also consider looking at Couchsurfing and Airbnb.

Cadiz could be your most southerly City and you can easy reach by train or bus from Seville or even Madrid. Both must be on your must visit list.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Kylie:

Yes, Cadiz is worth visiting. Be sure to see the Santa Cueva.

Must see cities:

1. Madrid (You can do day trips to Toledo and Segovia. Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

2. Barcelona

3. Cordoba

4. Granada - Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

5. Seville

6. Malaga

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Redhill, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Thank you for your recommendations and the car sharing scheme. Any recommendations for good places to eat and what to try?

Copenhagen, Denmark
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Eat at El Faro -tapas bar- and go to the beach IN the old city.

Redhill, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Thank you

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

cadiz, the old city, is a beautiful, compact city. we have spent 4 holidays there, amongst many other holidays in Andulusia. our daughter spent a year at the Uni there, most afternoons sunbathing on the lovely beach & still goes back for reunions (carnival in feb is good). most definitely recommended. ferry to Puerta Maria, bars, restaurants, flamenco clubs, clubbing (when i collected my car one morning, i passed numerous young people going home - 6am! seemed safe, most located together with minimal police presense) free car parking is difficult but if prepared to walk 20 minutes, no problem. lots to do.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,781 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

it helps if you give an indication of how long your travels will be and where you want to be based. Cadiz is one of the most overlooked cities in Andalucia when it comes to questions on this forum but is a much better place to visit than some overhyped ones. Benny suggest from Madrid....... but we spent over a week in Madrid and went to so many exciting cities that a fortnights holiday could be based there. Then you have the whole of northern Spain. So if you have a couple of months you won't run out of places to go but Cadiz is right up there.

Palm Harbor, Florida
Level Contributor
934 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Cadiz is one great town.

Miss it every day since our trip last summer. It's picturesque, historical, has good restaurants & cafes, La Caleta beach, castles on the water, good shopping, and Cadiz has very friendly people. We stayed at the Parador which was fantastic. Left some reviews which may help out.

Happy traveling.

Cheers! ----- Ken

Redhill, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Thank you everyone for your help, I have now decided to do Au Pairing in Almeria and the family said I can travel to other cities on my days off so Cadiz will now be one of those places.

Many thanks

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Cadiz worth a visit on my travels around Spain?

Yes, yes, yes, you will love Cadiz.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie