We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Topic
Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

Question for Cadiz Lover or anyone else who can help!

12 of us are going to Cadiz for the weekend of 17 and 18 February to partake in the carnaval / mardi gras celebrations.

We have as yet been unable to find accommodation for the night of Saturday 17th.

Does anyone have any ideas on anywhere we may be able to stay - hostels or university accommodation ideally?

Also, any further info on that weekend's festivities would be most helpful ie where to be and when - my Spanish isn't great and I haven't been able to get much from the official websites.

Many thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,644 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

If you cannot find accom in Cádiz itself (presume that you have contacted the helpful tourist office as well) then consider staying in one of the other nearby towns. There will be special buses organised for late night transport. Jerez has more accomodation as does El Puerto or even San Fernando or Puerto Real. Transport links are also available by train. Even across the bay by catamaran to El Puerto. See

http://www.cmtbc.es/ for the local Cádiz Bay transport.

Afraid can't help you on uni accom.

There is a list of accom in El Puerto at : www.elpuertosm.es

and Jerez is well catered for.

Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

Thanks a lot, Cadiz lover - now looking into accommodation outside Cadiz.

Do you have any further suggestions on where / when to be in Cadiz over the weekend of Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th February.

I understand there is some sort of Cavalcade on the Sunday - do you know what time that takes place?

Otherwise, any tips whatsoever on how we can best enjoy the festivities would be most helpful.

Many thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,644 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

It is best if you look at the programme nearer the time. I think its at: carnavaldecadiz.com/Carnaval2007/…17

You may see that on Sunday DOMINGO the 18th at 18.00 hrs is the start of the Gran Cabalgata Magna - the main procession. This follows the main road into the old city called Avenida Andalucia. A long straight entrance road into Cádiz. The procession ends at the port itself. The main activity will be centred in the old town around the Cathedral area and of course the port. The carpas (tents) will be where the main drinking action is late at night. In fact are you seriously going to book some accomodation?

Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

Thanks again - that's a great help.

Would you say that Saturday night is definitely worth being there for? I note there are a couple of processions and a proclamation of the Carnaval Goddess? Sounds like fun!

We are going to be based in Seville and our plan is actually to head back to Seville on Sunday to take in the football match between Seville and Atletico Madrid that evening, so it probably wouldn't be feasible to take in the Grand Procession on the Sunday night.

I guess what I'm asking is would it be an advisable thing to do (remembering this is a stag weekend) to get the train from Seville (less than 2 hrs I think), party all night in Cadiz and then get the first train back to Seville on the Sunday morning (0740 as far as I can see from the renfe website)? We are all keen to experience the 3rd biggest Mardi Gras on the planet and the above looks like our only opportunity to do so. Is it worth it?!

Many thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,644 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

You will have an all night ball. The train you found is a long distance one that goes daily from Cadiz to Madrid via Seville etc. There are local regional trains that are more like our commuter trains that go at other times and in fact are a lot cheaper. Taking just about 2 hours. By the way if you take one of these regional trains (called ANDALUCIA EXPRES) the you could get off at San Bernado station (underground) at Seville which is just prior to the main terminus at Santa Justa. San ernado is closer to the main tourist areas and maybe closer to your hotel in Seville.

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

Hi Noblerone

I would recommend visiting the Círculo de las fronteras for some of the best local nightlife. The food at Eb Grande is second to none and 'el barrilete' nightclub is great. Have a great time.

Poughkeepsie, NY USA
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

Isn't Monday the big "Powder Explosion"? I'm hoping to day trip in frm Seville to witness it. ANyone know what time it happens?

Madrid
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

Hi everybody.

I'm Spanish and I've been reading your posts. I noticed that you put your interest in things like powder explosion and other events. I think that sort of things could be seen anywhere, waht makes Cádiz really special is its light and its people. I'm going ther for the first carnival weekend. My reasons to go are living the city, the people, maybe you don't speak fluent Spanish, and surely it's more difficult to understand a Gaditano than a Madrileño. This handicap privates of understanding the humor of Gaditanos, their ingeniousness, they are the funniest people, in general, all over Spain, but you can catch some of it looking at their faces, their smiles they have a special character and a special way to see lifegoing. This apart from the art, the music they have in their blood. Having all the night in the crowded streets having something to drink listening to the serious music of guitars or the joke music of chirigotas it's a great experience. One more point is that in Carnivals people from all over Spain come to Cadiz so you will have there a little Spain, and Spanish people, in general again, love the night, love going out and having fun, REAL LOVE. If you are interested in cultural subjects you can also find that there. If you go have a good time, mix with local people and enjoy.

Madrid
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

Hi everybody.

I'm Spanish and I've been reading your posts. I noticed that you put your interest in things like powder explosion and other events. I think that sort of things could be seen anywhere, waht makes Cádiz really special is its light and its people. I'm going ther for the first carnival weekend. My reasons to go are living the city, the people, maybe you don't speak fluent Spanish, and surely it's more difficult to understand a Gaditano than a Madrileño. This handicap privates of understanding the humor of Gaditanos, their ingeniousness, they are the funniest people, in general, all over Spain, but you can catch some of it looking at their faces, their smiles they have a special character and a special way to see lifegoing. This apart from the art, the music they have in their blood. Having all the night in the crowded streets having something to drink listening to the serious music of guitars or the joke music of chirigotas it's a great experience. One more point is that in Carnivals people from all over Spain come to Cadiz so you will have there a little Spain, and Spanish people, in general again, love the night, love going out and having fun, REAL LOVE. If you are interested in cultural subjects you can also find that there. If you go have a good time, mix with local people and enjoy.

NY
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cadiz Carnaval - February 2007

I'm sure you're rigt about the people. Since I will be visiting Seville, Granada, Córdoba, and Ronda, I'm sure I will have many opportunities to meet nice people and sample the music and the food and drink of the regions.

However, the opportunity to witness an interesting, unique event is very appealing, so yes, I am interested in the events of the carnaval.

Muchas gracias por tu respuesta.