We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

sheffield
5 posts
Save Topic
El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

My partner and i are visiting a number of places in costa de la Luz in August and we were thinking of spending our last few nights in el puerto before flying back from Jerez. One review however says its a dump! is this true?! Never been before so dont anything about the place. any thought?

thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,221 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

A dump? Far from it. Many many Spaniards head for El Puerto during the hot summer months to enjoy the beaches and the restaurants and night life. At other times of the year it is a thriving seaside / port town with plenty of interest.

One of my favourite places to visit is the old OSBORNE sherry bodega which is a couple of blocks inland from the river quay near the Santa Maria Hotel. Of course Thomas Osborne was an Englishman who founded the business back in the 18th century and built those warehouses to store the delicious 'sack' which was a favourite tipple in those days. I don't think Thomas Osborne called it a dump.

Then young Byron who wrote some fancy poetry and verse visited El Puerto de Santa Maria when he briefly visited Cádiz on his way to the Mediterranean back in July 1809 Byron sailed over the Bay (as you can do today but on a ferry boat !) and witnessed a bullfight ! Today the Bull Ring in PSM is still very popular in the summer holiday months!

Byron didn't call it a dump !

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,221 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

In August the town will be busy. Many people head for the fishy restaurant called ROMERIJJOS - you can't miss it as they have the largest 'frontage' in town. Here you can get almost any sea food and it is worth checking out the various counters before deciding what you want. there is a fried fish one as well ! After all fried fish and chips originated in the Bay of Cádiz.

PSM is always a little bit cooler than Jerez in the hot months. It is close to water. The sherry barrels from Jerez used to be carted down to this river to be on larger sailing ships to be transported to Bristol or wherever there was demand. The river is still a popular place for visiting pleasure boats and the ferry goes over to Cádiz regularly. There is a small ferry called the Adriano. And there are fast ones. I prefer the slow boat in the sun !

sheffield
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

thank you so much cadiz lover for your helpful response! I'm convinced

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

Just returned from five weeks in El Puerto. This is my second trip in consecutive years. El P is an acquired taste. It has its charms but they won't jump out at you. There is a central historical district and a more modern urban ring around it. It is easy to walk everywhere and there are many good to excellent restraurants. The beaches are vast and seem clean. Puerto Sherry which is a an urbanization zone in El P is directly on the Atlantic Ocean. It has some restaurants and bars that overlook out at the ocean. Another important consideration in making El P a base is the ease of access to Cadiz (a must see-20 minutes by the new catamarans or the 100 year old Vapercito) and Jerez (10 minutes by train).

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

I don't know if it's still true, but I would say that El Puerto..is one of the latest holdolds to international tourism, but judging from the posters it may no longer be true. In any case, my guess is that the tourism in July and August is overwhelmingly Spanish. Other thoughts on this? Bottom line: It is not a dump.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

Sorry. I meant to say "one of the last holdout"

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

I would support promulgating the view that it is a dump, that way international tourists go elsewhere and those of us in the know in the area get to keep the place to ourselves!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,221 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

I agree with chano absolutely. Let's not change PSM. It's a dump !

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

You guys are very funny, but I think it's a great idea. People in Asturias have been trying to keep the secret for years there as well. I think the rain has a way of keeping the secret. How has PSM held on so long? Oh, that's right. It's a durmp!

MANCHESTER
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: El Puerto de Santa Maria - is it a dump?

Just Like other people say ..EL PUERTO IS AN ABSOLUTE HELLHOLE, Full of spainards, we have been going there 4 or 5 times a year for the last 5 years,going again in june ,hate the place,cant get a pint or fish and chips anywhere,pies.no chance.Dont tell anyone ,they will think were mental. Great place,easy to get to Cadiz,Arcos,Jerez,Sanlucar,Rota....BUT LIKE I SAID HELLHOLE...DONT BOTHER...

Get answers to your questions about El Puerto de Santa...