We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best resort to stay in?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the best resort to stay in?

We are thinking of holidaying in Costa del Sol this summer. Which would be the best resort to find a nice apartment for our family of 4 with a 14 year old and 11 year old? We don't want to be in a too busy/touristy area, like to feel 'like we are in Spain'. Will be renting a car to do some traveling, but want a base near the ocean for the kids and to take them to the waterparks etc. Which is best Estepona, Calahonda, Nerja or Cabopino? Thanks, MrsB.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best resort to stay in?

Does anyone have any preferences please?

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best resort to stay in?

There are countless factors to take into consideration, and the resorts that you have listed are about as diversified as you can get!

I have a recently updated six page email attachment titled "A Few (!) Tips On Nerja" which hopefully provides a flavour of the area, based on years of feedback from numerous sources.

If you or anyone else would like me to send this please PM me an email address and I will do so.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best resort to stay in?

Hi Mrs B. Yes, I agree with Jon. Picking a winner for a young family between Estepona, Calahonda, Nerja and Cabopino is a wisdom-of-Solomon task and most of us are found wanting on that score.

However, let's sift through the clues. "We like to feel we are in Spain".

Right away, that rules Calahonda and Cabopino out of the equation. Both are purpose-built resorts for the holiday hordes, and while I would happily stay in either, neither has a whiff of the "real Spain".

Nerja I know little about, so I would take up Jon's kind offer of enlightenment and maybe base a decision on that.

Estepona, in my estimation, is just too far away from the "buzz" that would excite your youngsters, although would be my pick of the four if you had not mentioned waterparks.

If you had to pin me down - and I know you are not - this father would opt for a nice apartment near the beach at La Cala (see link).

Okay, it is no longer the "real Spain" it used to be when I first visited 30 years ago, with two kids and a young wife in tow.

But neither does it have the bustling pace of a Torremolinos, Benalmadena or Fuengirola.

The one-time fishing village may have started along the tourist route, too, but it will never reach the commercial milestones of others.

Yes, I think La Cala is well worth looking at - even if Solomon might not agree!

Tony.

http://www.calademijas.com/

4. Re: Which is the best resort to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 04:35