We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Tobacco prices

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,911 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
New Tobacco prices

Is the recent tobacco price rise to coincide with the Smoking Ban? A real double whammy for you smokers. http://www.eurotabaco.net/prices_tobacco.php

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Tobacco prices

Well it's still a hell of a lot cheaper here than in the UK or Ireland, so it's no biggie to be honest. I want to give up in the new year so it's good timing really - plus the fact there has been a huge percentage rise in Spanish giving up or at least starting the process of giving up in readiness for the new year - so it looks like they are embracing the change :)

CB ",)

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Tobacco prices

40c on a packet is hardly the end of the world, the continuing large rises in the price of rolling tobacco will have the smuggling fraternity in tears though!

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,911 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Tobacco prices

I noticed that Golden Virginia has gone up 19€ in one jump. That was what brought it to my attention as i was checking the price for a friend. I am now saving even more money by not smoking LOL

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Tobacco prices

Have the Spanish government worked out that they can earn more in tax revenue than the Brits buying in bulk?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Tobacco prices

Hardly anyone in Spain smokes rollies except teenagers and those mixing tobacco with naughties, and Spain has been coming under strong pressure from the EU (and especially the UK) to 'regularise' tobacco tax levels.

Rather ingeniously they have re-classified most brands of rolling tobacco so they can whack up the tax on them, thus hitting the smugglers without unduly hitting the ordinary smoker. This is why the brands most favoured by the smugglers have doubled in price in the last 13 months. Good stuff all round!

Edited: 13 December 2010, 23:29
Barcelona
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Tobacco prices

Best to visit Gibraltar a few times this month and stock up on ciggies as they are due to go up there in january!

7. Re: New Tobacco prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 05:40