We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

The Spanish Government is getting very stroppy over William & Kate's visit in June - they've stopped Queen Sofia going to Windsor for the Jubilee bash on Friday - so expect hassle-levels at the border when crossing back into Spain to be up to the max over the next few weeks:

http://tinyurl.com/7yfunmk

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,647 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

The British press state the visit will be by the Earl and Countess of Wessex

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

Whoever is going, this could be bad news for day trippers to Gibraltar. At present the delays are completely unpredictable. If the consequences of royal visit have an even more pronounced effect, it will indeed be horrible.

It has taken me up to 90 mins to get from the back of the line of cars waiting to cross the border to crossing the airport runway into the centre of the town. I have never tried to cross the border on foot so I do not know how the delays would affect those people.

It does seem insensitive of the British royals to go ahead with the visit. Queen Sofia of Spain has cancelled a visit to the UK this coming Friday to mark Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee because of disputes over Gibraltar.

NoSoyGuiri, thanks for posting this. Even if, as Nurioopta says, you got the names wrong, the possible consequences remain the same.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

Hand well and truly slapped for getting the indentity of visitors wrong, if there's this much fuss over minor royals perhaps it's a good job it isn't William and Kate!

Either way, expect horrendous border crossing times over the next few weeks.

Perhaps Rajoy will send Queen Sofia to Ceuta and Melilla instead.

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

"Perhaps Rajoy will send Queen Sofia to Ceuta and Melilla instead" :-))

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

One more reason to NOT go to Gib.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,647 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

There is something hyocritical about all this, as Queen Sofia attended the Golden Anniversary for QEII in London.

I also remember once she flew Ryanair to London from Zaragoza, after an official engagement, to meet with rellies or friends!!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

It's to deflect attention from the Repsol situation, and the collapse of the Spanish banks presumably.

I suppose Sofia can't tell Rajoy to stick it after JC's elephant-shooting episode...that didn't go down to well with most of the population.

I'm sure the border police will find a way to delay those crossing on foot as well as those in vehicles. The usual practice is to insist on scanning of all passports and searching of all bags (whilst allocating only one person to this task, natch).

Edited: 17 May 2012, 09:53
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

Whoops, 2 more reasons Malagogo, I originally meant the border crossing delays, but now you mention it!!!!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

NSG,

How did the argument follow... ?? oh wait I remember! Morocco did not even exist when Ceuta and Melilla became Spanish, which is not the case with Gibraltar (and especially the waters around it which have never been british according to Spain and are the core of the fishing trouble).

I wonder how will our politicians rise some smoke curtain when we have domestic problems if the Gibraltar issue is sorted out is some way in the future.

If the Earl, William, Kate or "la madre que los parió" want to come to Gibraltar it is ok by me. We have some more serious problems to solve than a bloody rock if you ask me.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Gib.? Expect more border aggro than usual...

Looking at the amount of pollution chucked out around the Bay of Algeciras and from the Rock I'm surprised there are any fish at all to argue about :-)