We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October/November All Inclusive

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
October/November All Inclusive

Hi

My wife and I ( late fifties) intend to spend a 3 days in Costa Del Sol in autumn Half Term (between 27th Oct - Nov 5th)

Can anyone please help with the following info:

Which is the best resort for bars / restaurants with suitable entertainment ?

Which is a good AI hotel close to town amenities ?

What sort of weather could we expect ?

Thank you

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
477 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October/November All Inclusive

Torremolinos, in particular La Cariheula will have restaurants and seafront bars. Why not consider B&B, there are many good locations for eating and drinking as you stroll around, all reasonably priced. Torremolinos is close to the airport and much changed from its sixties reputation.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: October/November All Inclusive

Out of curiosity,

What was it's sixties reputation?

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October/November All Inclusive

Not a vast choice of A.I. hotels in the area as the local council have had the sense to restrict it up to now in an attempt to protect local bar and restaurant businesses.

However, due to my husbands health issues, we have been going A.I. for short breaks over the past few years. We are similar in age to you.

For a good central location ofering A.I. accommodation have a look at the Hotel Cervantes in Torremolinos. Right in the town centre with quick access to bars and shops that are open year round plus less than 5 minutes walk to the railway station for quick transfers to/from the Airport, Malaga city or along the coast to Fuengirola, Its a walk downhill to the beach but there is a lift costing 50 cents per trip if you don´t want to go down - or more importantly up - the steep steps or road.

Better A.I. food IMO is found at the recently upgraded Marconfort Torremolinos Beach Club. This hotel is on the seafront but a much longer walk into the town centre - although there is a regular bus service from outside the hotel.

By late October the hot weather has eased to pleasantly warm with temperatures in the low to mid 70s - you will probably need a light jacket at night. Occasional heavy showers are possible but the sun generally comes out again straight after.

I hope this helps - let us know if you need any more information.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
477 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October/November All Inclusive

in the sixties Torremolinos was the original teenage package holiday rave, that has long gone elsewhere. Campolady, above, has given you her usual excellent advice, she is an expert here.

However, if you consider BB there will be plenty of bars and restaurants waiting to entertain you, especially in the Cariheula area.

Have a great break whatever you choose.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October/November All Inclusive

Not sure Torremolinos was a haven for us teenagers in the early 60's.

General Franco views on behaviour certainly did not allow unmarried youngsters to share a room unless married.

Strict chaperoning occurred at all times, was a very catholic country at this times without any liberal views that prevail today.

You also have to remember u.k. foreign currency regulations were in force also heavily restricting us in the currency we could take out of the country, like cigs today, we used to have to run the customs checks going out with money, if found we lost our money. cant remember in the 60's , but can remember was £50 in the 70's.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October/November All Inclusive

Hi

Thanks campolady and joxxer for info.

I was considering AI mainly because the difference in price between B+B and AI is now becoming so small that you really couldn't eat/drink in restaurants/bars for the amount you could save on B+B.

That being said, I appreciate that you would probably get better standard - but on recent visits to Majorca we have found food and drink in the restaurants to be quite expensive.

We usually buy a couple of meals 'out' and enjoy the odd quality coffee and brandy at a pavement cafe/bar particularly if there is a bit of entertainment going on then we can usually be tempted to stay longer.(We usually find the Irish bars are best for this ?) - but generally we are happy to relax as much as poss in the hotel (where all is 'Free')

We have not been to Costa Del Sol for many years so are not aware of the general cost of meals/drinks etc.

Taking the above into account do you think we would be better with B+B ??

Also we could look at other resorts in the area if you could recommend anywhere.

Best Regards

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
477 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October/November All Inclusive

Hi Ian,

I would agree with some of your comments, but I was a teenager in the sixties in Torremolinos and the views of General Franco were less important than the immediate feelings of people around us, certainly being discreet was vital. Spanish ladies generally did not mix with tourists, British and Irish ladies hadn't heard of the permissive society either! But we had fun with loud music in small clubs. Currency transfer restrictions hardly mattered when you had no money!

To respond to the initial enquiry,

AI can be good and economical, the advice of Campolady is, as usual, excellent. It may be that you could consider Malaga city for a relatively short break, there are many excellent hotels, restaurants and bars.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October/November All Inclusive

I would consider B & B because the food option in the area is excellent and not expensive. Accept A I does allow you to budget.

9. Re: October/November All Inclusive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 05:18